Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

New G-system, installed v3.0, but now it won't connect

I just got my G-System yesterday, new out of the box. Played around on it today. Downloaded and installed v3.0, G-System works fine

except

I cannot get the laptop to recognize it, and I cannot pick a MIDI in device.

I followed the Troubleshooting doc about editting the registry for the Logitech driver, and deleted ghosted devices, rebooted, etc... still recognises the unit in hardware manager, but cannot pick a MIDI in device.

Is there something else I can try before giving up?

Thanks!
Guitars - Godin LG L&M 50th, Peavey Wolfgang Special & Stoptail (w/Graphtech Ghost), Epiphone Slash LP Plus Top) Amp - Main: Randall RM4/RT2-50, Genz Benz G-Flex w/ Randall Mic Elim, Hellatone 60L's - Practice: Randall LB50 Combo Effects: G-System, EVH Phaser, EVH Flanger, MXR BLS Chorus, MXR/CAE Line Booster, Rocktron Banshee, Morley Dragon Wah, Dunlop Power Brick
Tags (1)
johnodge Contributor - Level 2 2008-09-21

2008-09-21

New G-system, installed v3.0, but now it won't connect

I just got my G-System yesterday, new out of the box. Played around on it today. Downloaded and installed v3.0, G-System works fine

except

I cannot get the laptop to recognize it, and I cannot pick a MIDI in device.

I followed the Troubleshooting doc about editting the registry for the Logitech driver, and deleted ghosted devices, rebooted, etc... still recognises the unit in hardware manager, but cannot pick a MIDI in device.

Is there something else I can try before giving up?

Thanks!

• 0 Kudos
  • 16 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: New G-system, installed v3.0, but now it won't connect

what os do you have? if you have windows remember to update to the latest service pack.
Parker Fly Mojo > Budda Wah > G-System > Radial Tonebone Classic > Maxon OD9 > B-52 AT-100 Half-Stack
Contributor - Level 2

I have WinXp SP3
Guitars - Godin LG L&M 50th, Peavey Wolfgang Special & Stoptail (w/Graphtech Ghost), Epiphone Slash LP Plus Top) Amp - Main: Randall RM4/RT2-50, Genz Benz G-Flex w/ Randall Mic Elim, Hellatone 60L's - Practice: Randall LB50 Combo Effects: G-System, EVH Phaser, EVH Flanger, MXR BLS Chorus, MXR/CAE Line Booster, Rocktron Banshee, Morley Dragon Wah, Dunlop Power Brick
Contributor - Level 2

do you have the latest version of the editor? 1.02 RC2 ?... i don't know if updating it would solve your issue, but it could... btw are you connecting by the USB port on the g?
Parker Fly Mojo > Budda Wah > G-System > Radial Tonebone Classic > Maxon OD9 > B-52 AT-100 Half-Stack
Contributor - Level 2

hmmmm well, I just used what was on the site yesterday, which looks like v1.00 (I'll have to check at home later to see what it actually is).

And yes, I was connecting via the USB port on the G...

Another issue... I do have a midisport Uno that does work, but uses midi connections... and my G did connect to the PC BUT screwed up the volumes somehow, and I had to re initialize the G (I'm glad I didn't start writing patches...)

BTW... I'm not a n00b when it comes to effects processors and connecting to the PC (I have had a GT6/GT8, Peavey Transformer and Peavey Tubefex, Peavey VSX26, and a Digitech Vocalist Live)...

One of the selling features for me with the G was PC editing and patch backup... It's just VERY weird that I had NO issues connecting the G via USB for the update, and after that, the PC won't recognize it...
Super Contributor - Level 2

The editor is strictly a 3rd party element. TC doesn't really have any support info. I have found that, much like the help people get on this forum, it was useful to go to the Vyzor support forum. There were lots of bugs in the editor, and there are still some now. But there's a recent release (1.02), as well as some beta availability on the upcoming releases.

http://www.vyzor.com/support/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=8aee919a1219aa7ae66e01f5a03898e9
G System Black iB mod
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks, I posted a condensed version of this thread on the Vyzor site...

Even though the Vyzor editor is a 3rd party one, it is still distributed on the TC site attached to the G-System. Obviously the Vyzor and TC guys worked together in some for or another to get the editor off the ground...

BUT I do love the sound coming out of the G-system!!!! The loops are worth the price of the unit... the effects are truly stunning (coming from a GT-8 user, take it for what it's worth... lol).
Super Contributor - Level 2

I know, you'd think that TC would WANT us to be able to use the software.

I actually did some work for a MIDI guitar preamp company a few years ago. They wanted to be able to hook it up to a computer as well. They had a 3rd party do the computer software, and I edited the preamp firmware to add some code that allowed the computer program to talk to the preamp. Other than that little bit of code, I don't know anything about the computer program part. I only ever saw it work once. What I'm trying to say is that 99% of the work (and knowledge) lies with the 3rd party folks.

I love my G also. I've had it almost a year now. I am using features (like the loops) that I never thought I would bother with.
G System Black iB mod
Contributor - Level 2

I had the same issue, Johnodge, and just opted to abandon using the editor. Would be interested if you do figure out why you can't get your computer to recognize the G-System
Contributor - Level 2

Try using a powered hub in-between the G and the computer.
Gtrs: PRS Cust. 24 20-Anny Artist, Yamaha PAC1511 Mike Stern Signature Pedalboard: Barber Tone Press, TC NovaDrive, TC G-System, Eventide ModFactor Rack: Egnater M4 Modular Tube Preamp, Randall RT2/50 Power Amp, Palmer ADIG-LB load box/cab sim Acoustic: Stehr Coco/Adi Custom-build OO, Stehr Koa/Adi Custom Build GA, Stehr Braz/Adi Custom Build GA, Taylor 814ce-L10, G-Natural