Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Nova System and the Marshall JVM410H

I demo'd the GT-10, the M13 and the Nova System last weekend in the music store. IMHO the GT-10 sounds a little processed, the M13 is very nice but I found that the displays are small and virtually unreadable from normal playing distance (I also have the same old problem with my color blindness). Apparently the midi channel switching is done in latching mode by scene. For me the TC Electronic Nova System knocks the socks off both of them for ease of use and quality (the M13 is getting poor press for the quality of the buttons which operate micro switches - scarily fragile). I traded my Boss GT-8 for it and it's the dog's, absolutely no fuss whatsoever to set up via the JVM FX loop and midi connection. In reality, how many patches does a gigging guitarist really need? We play mainly classic rock and as a rythm guitarist I use clean, clean/chorus, crunch and lead patches - that's it. I leave the fancy stuff to the lead guitarist. I have configured all of the channels/gain stages to the first four banks of three patches using MV2 for Clean/Red to tone it down a little and named then appropriately as my basic patches - I'll just create a separate bank of three for my favourite tones and kick in the odd effect. There's also the boost button to lift the volume. marvellous!!
Gibson Les Paul Custom, '57 FSR Vintage Player Strat, Ernie Ball Musicman 25th Anniversary, Ernie Ball Musicman Silhouette Piezo, Marshall JVM410H with Tung-Sol and JJ's, Marshall 2x12 with Celestion G12H, Laney LC30 with JJ's and Celestion G12H, G System, Ernie Ball Jnr, Boss TU-2, TCE VPD1, Nova Drive, Digitech Jamman.
Tags (1)
tinsoldier Contributor - Level 2 2008-10-08

2008-10-08

Nova System and the Marshall JVM410H

I demo'd the GT-10, the M13 and the Nova System last weekend in the music store. IMHO the GT-10 sounds a little processed, the M13 is very nice but I found that the displays are small and virtually unreadable from normal playing distance (I also have the same old problem with my color blindness). Apparently the midi channel switching is done in latching mode by scene. For me the TC Electronic Nova System knocks the socks off both of them for ease of use and quality (the M13 is getting poor press for the quality of the buttons which operate micro switches - scarily fragile). I traded my Boss GT-8 for it and it's the dog's, absolutely no fuss whatsoever to set up via the JVM FX loop and midi connection. In reality, how many patches does a gigging guitarist really need? We play mainly classic rock and as a rythm guitarist I use clean, clean/chorus, crunch and lead patches - that's it. I leave the fancy stuff to the lead guitarist. I have configured all of the channels/gain stages to the first four banks of three patches using MV2 for Clean/Red to tone it down a little and named then appropriately as my basic patches - I'll just create a separate bank of three for my favourite tones and kick in the odd effect. There's also the boost button to lift the volume. marvellous!!

• 0 Kudos
  • 0 Replies