Guitar

This board is dedicated to the wonderful six-stringed instrument that is the guitar. Talk about playing techniques, your favorite gear, artists, bands and more!

Highlighted

PS1 problem with V22 infinium. Anyone else experience this?

Contributor - Level 1
Hey guys, this is my first post and I would appreciate any help with my issue. Ipurchased the PS1 attenuator a few months ago so I could get that "sweet spot" tone at lower volumes. 22 watts is surprisingly loud! It worked like a charm and my amp sounded phenomenal for about 2 weeks. One evening, the volume started cutting out and the tone got very fuzzy. I noticed the replacement light was on for one of the power tubes. Now I know what a dying power tube sounds like (it was actually a pretty spot-on brown sound!) I stopped playing, disconnected the PS1, and called Bugera the next day to see if there were reports of problems with the PS1 or it was just time to replace the tube. They said to just replace the tube and there were no known issues with the PS1 damaging amps when used properly. I went ahead and bought a full set of preamp and power tubes. I figured it was a good excuse to replace the stock tubes and see how that affects the tone. After replacing all of the tubes (which was pretty easy, by the way,) I plugged in and played without the PS1. Once I had a couple of hours of playing time on the new tubes, I hooked the PS1 back up. After about 10 minutes of playing, the power light started flashing and both power tube lights lit up. Again, I stopped playing and removed the PS1. My amp is less than a year old and works great without the PS1. I desperately want to use it but it's collecting dust now because I don't want to ruin my amp. This thing is rated for 100w and obviously my V22 is way under that. I made sure the PS1 was connected correctly from day one so I didn't screw anything up. I also take care of my equipment and only play at home. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1

Re: PS1 problem with V22 infinium. Anyone else experience this?

Volunteer Moderator
If possible with your amp, try and bias the power tubes on the colder side as this will limit the stress on the tubes.

Here is a copy and paste from elsewhere:

You should be aware that there is additional stress on your amplifier, when playing the amplifier flat out, with or without an attenuator. When your amp is played wide open, maximum current will be flowing through the amplifier's circuitry, power transformer, output transformer, and the output tubes. A byproduct of the maximum current flow is a maximum amount of heat generated by; the tubes, the power and output transformer, and certain parts of the amplifier’s circuit. There is a maximum amount of stress on the amplifier's components when operating at full volume. Some tube amplifiers will blow a fuse when operated flat out, with or without the use of a power attenuator. If you have never run your amplifier flat out straight into a speaker cabinet for an extended period of time, then you do not actually know if your amplifier can handle this type of stress. Keep in mind, not all tube guitar amplifiers are designed to be played wide open.

Also, running an amp flat out with or without an attenuator will normally reduce the life of the output tubes, since maximum current is flowing and maximum heat is being generated during this condition. If your amp should happen to have a marginal power tube, the tube might operate fine at lower power levels and then could fail with the amp cranked up with maximum current flowing through the tube. The same could be true for any marginal component in the power tube section of the amplifier. ​

If a fuse blows or if an output tube, output transformer or other components fail with the use of an attenuator, it may or may not have happened without the attenuator. Running an amp flat out with or without an attenuator will normally reduce the life of the output tubes, since maximum current is flowing and maximum heat is being generated during this condition. ​
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Conversation Stats
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors