Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Using Clear System on G System

Having had a couple of problems, I pressed the clear system option on the G System and can now get nothing at all out of the unit either using the 4 cable method or plugging directly into the front of my amp. The system still shows the software version as 3.0 and all the preset names come up ok in the banks but no sound comes out of the unit. Has anyone else come across an issue like this? Thanks.
Guitars: 51 Nocaster Custom Shop, PRS Standard, Strat Amps: THD Flexi 50, Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic, Engl Screamer 50 FX: G System, BB Preamp
Tags (1)
cper123 Contributor - Level 2 2008-09-29

2008-09-29

Using Clear System on G System

Having had a couple of problems, I pressed the clear system option on the G System and can now get nothing at all out of the unit either using the 4 cable method or plugging directly into the front of my amp. The system still shows the software version as 3.0 and all the preset names come up ok in the banks but no sound comes out of the unit. Has anyone else come across an issue like this? Thanks.

• 0 Kudos
  • 20 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Using Clear System on G System

Have you set your levels up?

Does the tuner work?
Guitars: Suhr Modern, Tom Anderson Classic, Fender Custom Shop 60's Strat Amps: Fargen Dual British, Marshall JMP 20 Fx: T Rex Moller > G-System: Xotic BB, Option 5 Destination Overdrive
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Sherwood, yes the levels are up and no the tuner is not working. Coincidentally, I've just bought a THD Flexi 50 like you have. Do you manage to control the master and boost functions from the G System relays and do you manage to retain the great tone of the amp with the G System?

Cheers,

Chris.
Guitars: 51 Nocaster Custom Shop, PRS Standard, Strat Amps: THD Flexi 50, Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic, Engl Screamer 50 FX: G System, BB Preamp
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

cper123,

Just a guess here, but this could be a matter of your input... Perhaps it switched to "Front" or "Back" when you reset.

Check out the menu options. Somewhere in there it allows you designate the input location.

Let us know!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Yesnut - great guess! I have the G System in a rack and should have realised that I would have to reset the input - I'm pretty useless technically as you have probably gathered. Everything working ok now thanks though the G system really seems to thin out the sound of the amp. I've been trying to take the eq off and lock it but it just seems to reset itself to on all the time. I know I'll have to play with input/output and loop levels but at the moment there is a significant degradation in quality and Iobviously want to keep the tone of the amp which I love.

Cheers,

Chris.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

cper123 wrote:
Hi Yesnut - great guess! I have the G System in a rack and should have realised that I would have to reset the input - I'm pretty useless technically as you have probably gathered. Everything working ok now thanks though the G system really seems to thin out the sound of the amp. I've been trying to take the eq off and lock it but it just seems to reset itself to on all the time. I know I'll have to play with input/output and loop levels but at the moment there is a significant degradation in quality and Iobviously want to keep the tone of the amp which I love.

Cheers,

Chris.

The EQ DOES turn off when you turn it off. However, if you want to check it you have an issue - since, for some odd reason, the EQ gets turned on automatically when you navigate into the EQ menus. Turn the EQ off and then stay away from the EQ menus and it will stay off for you.

As for your other difficulties - how (exactly) are you wired and what are your current global levels?
Gtrs: PRS Cust. 24 20-Anny Artist, Yamaha PAC1511 Mike Stern Signature Pedalboard: Barber Tone Press, TC NovaDrive, TC G-System, Eventide ModFactor Rack: Egnater M4 Modular Tube Preamp, Randall RT2/50 Power Amp, Palmer ADIG-LB load box/cab sim Acoustic: Stehr Coco/Adi Custom-build OO, Stehr Koa/Adi Custom Build GA, Stehr Braz/Adi Custom Build GA, Taylor 814ce-L10, G-Natural
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Laird and thanks for your input. Very useful tip on the eq. I still find that the sound is a lot thinner than just straight into the amp even with the eq off. I guess I could go to the "All Bypass" preset and lock the eq to that to ensure I get as good a bypass as possible? Am I right in thinking though that as I audition the factory presets, they will just retain their set eq levels and will no be affected by the eq lock?

I'm wired in the standard 4 cable way splitting out a BB Preamp and BOSS Blues Driver so that they are in front of the amp while the relevant G System effects go through the loop of the Flexi 50. The G System is in a rack with the pedals and so I guess it's a very standarde set up. I'll add a Wah pedal but this will be right after the guitar and before the G System.

I've turned up the input and output gains to full and this occasionally lights up the red light on a big clean chord as recommended by the manual. Even this seems quiter than just plugging directly into the amp. I've turned the boost to zero and locked it so that I get as full a signal as possible. I've also set the Boost max to zero. I haven't touched the loop levels yet but at the moment they sound nowhere near as good as when they are just straight into the amp. I don't overuse the overdrive pedals and try and use the amp as much as possible. I'll probably drop the Blues Driver but will retain the BB Preamp for that little extra kick.

Edit 30/09/09:
One more thing Laird which may be making a difference is that I think that the FX loop in the THD is line level - as I think is pretty obvious I am pretty dumb technically - but is the G Sys expecxting to be plugged in at instrument level?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Chris.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi, I'd be really grateful if anyone could offer any further advise on this. I really want to achieve a true bypass situation where the G System doesn't affect the tone of the amp - at the moment it really thins it out no matter what I do.

I think from reading a previous post that I can get a better implementation of my overdrive pedal (Xotic BB Preamp) by using Loop 4 which is totally analogue then use the boost switch to bring it in and out. But this is only of use if I can achieve a good basic tone.

I'm really at the point where I'm considering selling the G and just going back to individual pedals which is a real pity because the effects are so good in the G but irrelevant if I'm levering off a bad sound.

Many thanks,

Chris.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

cper123 wrote:
Hi, I'd be really grateful if anyone could offer any further advise on this. I really want to achieve a true bypass situation where the G System doesn't affect the tone of the amp - at the moment it really thins it out no matter what I do.

I think from reading a previous post that I can get a better implementation of my overdrive pedal (Xotic BB Preamp) by using Loop 4 which is totally analogue then use the boost switch to bring it in and out. But this is only of use if I can achieve a good basic tone.

I'm really at the point where I'm considering selling the G and just going back to individual pedals which is a real pity because the effects are so good in the G but irrelevant if I'm levering off a bad sound.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Sorry so long getting back - had a family issue to attend to and was not logging in.

You should also take a hard look at the loop level on the G-System. Do the following:

1) unplug the connection between the Amp FX Send and the G-System Insert Return.
2) unplug the cable between the G-System Out and the Amp FX Return.
3) Double and Triple check that the insert loop is ON AND the insert LOCK is ON - in that order.
4) Select the "all-bypassed" patch
5) Use a balanced cable to connect the Insert Send to the Amp Input (long story)
6) Adjust your G-System input gain until you get a signal strength and sound you like, or until you reach about 14db.
7) If you got to 14db and are still having problems with a weak signal, start boosting the "loop level" on the G-System.

8) If you get to a reasonable volume after this and things still sound weak - is it a lack of high-frequency presence, of mid-range punch, or of low-end?
Gtrs: PRS Cust. 24 20-Anny Artist, Yamaha PAC1511 Mike Stern Signature Pedalboard: Barber Tone Press, TC NovaDrive, TC G-System, Eventide ModFactor Rack: Egnater M4 Modular Tube Preamp, Randall RT2/50 Power Amp, Palmer ADIG-LB load box/cab sim Acoustic: Stehr Coco/Adi Custom-build OO, Stehr Koa/Adi Custom Build GA, Stehr Braz/Adi Custom Build GA, Taylor 814ce-L10, G-Natural
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Laird, you must be the most technically aware person I've ever come across! I'm extremely grateful for your input and sorry to take up so much of your time. I'll try every thing that you suggest, I really want to retain the G System if I possibly can. One thing is a bit tricky however. I had the rack built for me and some of the wiring is hard wired in so that I just plug short cables from the back into the amp. This includes a hard wired, unbalanced (but very short and good quality) cable which completes the connection from the Insert Send to the Amp Input. How crucial is it to change this to a balanced cable?

Thanks yet again,

Chris.