Top Solution Authors
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

CAT issues.

I've been looking forward to the release of the CAT since it was announced. I just received my CAT today and have noticed a couple of quirks while jamming with it. I'm hoping it's just me, but it's so early, I thought I'd make a thread for other early adopters to chime in. First off, this synth sounds absolutely amazing. The range of tones I can coax out of it is astronomical. The only issue I seem to be having is note tracking. When playing songs where I would glide or slide up from one half step up or down, the note I'm trying to land on does not sound. It's almost like the note priority is not quite correct. I understand that in poly mode, one VCO handles the highest note and vice versa, but in mono mode, I can't seem to see a pattern of highest, lowest, or last note priority. When I press and hold one note and then press another note while still holding the first, the second note will play without retriggering the envelope (which is expected), but when I release the second note, the first note that I am still holding down does not return. I have to release the first note entirely and re-trigger it. This is not how any other synth I own behaves. What could I be doing wrong or is there potentially a glitch? 

I also own: Behringer Model D, Roland SE-02, Roland SH-01A, Roland SH201, Roland System-8, Studiologic Sledge, Casio CZ-5000, Korg Prologue 16, Yamaha DX7, Arturia DBI, Roland VT-4, and various modular gear. The CAT is the only synth that does this.

B4NJOs Contributor - Level 1 2020-05-22

2020-05-22

CAT issues.

I've been looking forward to the release of the CAT since it was announced. I just received my CAT today and have noticed a couple of quirks while jamming with it. I'm hoping it's just me, but it's so early, I thought I'd make a thread for other early adopters to chime in. First off, this synth sounds absolutely amazing. The range of tones I can coax out of it is astronomical. The only issue I seem to be having is note tracking. When playing songs where I would glide or slide up from one half step up or down, the note I'm trying to land on does not sound. It's almost like the note priority is not quite correct. I understand that in poly mode, one VCO handles the highest note and vice versa, but in mono mode, I can't seem to see a pattern of highest, lowest, or last note priority. When I press and hold one note and then press another note while still holding the first, the second note will play without retriggering the envelope (which is expected), but when I release the second note, the first note that I am still holding down does not return. I have to release the first note entirely and re-trigger it. This is not how any other synth I own behaves. What could I be doing wrong or is there potentially a glitch? 

I also own: Behringer Model D, Roland SE-02, Roland SH-01A, Roland SH201, Roland System-8, Studiologic Sledge, Casio CZ-5000, Korg Prologue 16, Yamaha DX7, Arturia DBI, Roland VT-4, and various modular gear. The CAT is the only synth that does this.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Re: CAT issues.

Update: after finding a couple of youtubers with similar issues, I can confirm that in mono mode, the problem does not appear to happen when using CV to control the pitch and gate of VCO1. This is not a fix as there is no way to use the Poly mode like this without a second CV source for VCO2. Just interesting.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Re: CAT issues.

Definite issues, as demonstrated in the attached Starsky Carr video. I love the sound of the CAT so much that I'm planning to buy several of them for polychaining, but I'm putting off those purchases until we see how Behringer addresses these problems.

At least three known problems are:

1.) "Mono Mode Note Priority" issue: Demonstrated at the 6:00 mark in the video.

When a high note key is held down in mono mode, and a low note key is then briefly tapped, the synth continues playing the low note instead of the high note that's still being held down.

2.) "Oscillator Sync Glitch" issue: Demonstrated from the 7:22 mark all the way until the 9:05 mark in the video.

Oscillator sync in both Mode A and Mode B is doing some bizarre sort of glitchy jerking back and forth instead of a smoother sweep. Some folks who own the original Octave CAT made comments on the video to confirm that their original synths don't have this issue. Other owners of the Behringer CAT commented to confirm that all of the Behringers have this problem, so it's not just a problem with the one unit being demoed by Starsky Carr.

3.) "Click-to-Zap" envelope decay issue: Demonstrated at the 22:32 mark in the video.

The physical slider/potentiometer seems to either have the wrong resistance value or the wrong taper (logarithmic vs linear) to get the proper range of sounds that an envelope usually does. A few folks have said that it might even just be the teensy-tiny total length of the slider that limits its ability to properly fine-tune the envelope. This seems like it should (hopefully) be an easy fix on the next production run; just swap out the "wrong" sliders for a different value, taper, or size that gets the range of sounds that end-users are expecting.