Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Backup Mixer for Midas MR18 at Live Band Gigs?

I am setting up a Midas MR18 mixer to run sound for 6 to 11 piece variety bands.  The MR18 and an external router are mounted in a rack with a power conditioner.  I've tested the MR18 with my IPad at home, and so far everything seems to be fine.  

I'm just wondering if folks with a similiar setup have a backup mixer just in case there are connection issues with the MR18/IPad at events.  If so, what type of mixer do you bring for a backup?  

I have a M32R at home with a DL16.  I was thinking since I'm familiar with this setup, maybe getting a used M32R would be a solid backup and I could use my DL16 (Which I don't really use that much anyway).

I guess I'm a bit nervous about not having physical faders in the event my IPad and/or MR18 freezes up.  Any suggestions of other setups would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  

rajprods Contributor - Level 3 2020-02-12

2020-02-12

Backup Mixer for Midas MR18 at Live Band Gigs?

I am setting up a Midas MR18 mixer to run sound for 6 to 11 piece variety bands.  The MR18 and an external router are mounted in a rack with a power conditioner.  I've tested the MR18 with my IPad at home, and so far everything seems to be fine.  

I'm just wondering if folks with a similiar setup have a backup mixer just in case there are connection issues with the MR18/IPad at events.  If so, what type of mixer do you bring for a backup?  

I have a M32R at home with a DL16.  I was thinking since I'm familiar with this setup, maybe getting a used M32R would be a solid backup and I could use my DL16 (Which I don't really use that much anyway).

I guess I'm a bit nervous about not having physical faders in the event my IPad and/or MR18 freezes up.  Any suggestions of other setups would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Backup Mixer for Midas MR18 at Live Band Gigs?

Hi Renaldo @rajprods 

Welcome to the forum. I've always brought backup consoles with me (second X32 Rack with my original X32 Rack, or XR18 with my MR18). But I've yet to need to use them (as replacement to the console). Any time there has been freezing, it has been due to connection issues (or out of range). So I also bring a backup wireless router and tablet. It seems as though iPads are more susceptable to connections issues. So I would suggest getting a good android tablet (eg. Samsung Galaxy Tab A) with Mixing Station Pro as a backup.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Paul-

Thanks for the response.  I understand I can also connect my Macbook Pro laptop directly to the MR18 through the ethernet port.  I will look into getting a backup router, and android tablet as a backup option.  I've never heard about the Mixing Station Pro application.  Do you find this application as good or better than the M Air application?  

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@rajprods ,

I always run with a laptop hardwired to the router close to the mixer.  If I have connection issues I go to the laptop. If I have router issues, I unplug the router and put the laptop straight into the Mixer.The mixer and laptop have fixed IP addresses while the tablets have DHCP addresses assigned from the router.  Both Android and iPad tablets now support wired Ethernet connections as well. I typically have a spare XR18 when needed.  Can't afford a spare X32 Rack yet so if I had a problem with that it would be a stripped down show using an XR18. 

Hope this helps,

Ken 

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

@rajprods wrote:

I've never heard about the Mixing Station Pro application.  Do you find this application as good or better than the M Air application?  

Most definitely IMO. Of course I use android tablets exclusively (I don't own an Apple product at all) and have been using Mixing Station since it was first released in 2013. About a year ago the developer ported it to the iOS platform for iPad and iPhone users to enjoy.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

@KenMitchell 

Thanks for the response.  Regarding the wired ethernet connection for an IPad, I am assuming you are referring to something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/ENBIA-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-100Mbps/dp/B07SYH7PMW/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=ethe...

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@rajprods 

I've never used one of those so I'm not sure how well they work but the concept is lightning to Ethernet. I've only used the Apple dongles called out in this article: https://support.robinpowered.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002123883-Connect-your-iPad-to-a-wired-interne...

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Rock Star - Level 2

@Paul_Vannatto wrote:

@rajprods wrote:

I've never heard about the Mixing Station Pro application.  Do you find this application as good or better than the M Air application?  

Most definitely IMO. Of course I use android tablets exclusively (I don't own an Apple product at all) and have been using Mixing Station since it was first released in 2013. About a year ago the developer ported it to the iOS platform for iPad and iPhone users to enjoy.

I use both the Android and IOS app and while it isn't widely known yet, David also has an early version for PC and Mac.  I purchased it immediately just to continue to support his efforts.