Contributor - Level 2

HA8000 - sound only coming through one side of the headphones

I have connected one of the sd8 outputs to one of the direct input channels using a XLR to mono jack cable.

For reason I am only getting sound through one side of the headphones. Is this because I am using a mono cable,and  if so how do I rectify this problem?

AaronMan Contributor - Level 2 2019-10-06

2019-10-06

HA8000 - sound only coming through one side of the headphones

I have connected one of the sd8 outputs to one of the direct input channels using a XLR to mono jack cable.

For reason I am only getting sound through one side of the headphones. Is this because I am using a mono cable,and  if so how do I rectify this problem?

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Rising Star - Level 1

Re: HA8000 - sound only coming through one side of the headphones

@AaronMan 

Yes the mono plug in a stereo jack is the reason, but a the commonly available XLR-trs cable will be much worse (almost no sound-just noise). Try pulling the cable out one click. The idea is to connect the tip and the ring of the jack to the tip of the cable without shorting to the sleeve (ground). Or Push the mono Button. A custom cable could be built.

Contributor - Level 2

I have managed to get it working..I think!

I have used a different set of headphones and both sides are working fine. I think the problem yesterday, was that one of the musicians were using Iphone headphones (with a mic), which I also tried using this morning. I had to pull the headset cable out by one click and it seemed to work. However I am getting a significant amount of ground noise, which is probably due to the cable as you have mentioned below.

In the long term, we are hoping to have stereo mixes, but we are lacking outputs until we buy another SD8 or SD16.

Would a stereo XLR to stereo jack be better, or is it still a bad arrangement?

Highlighted
Rising Star - Level 1

@AaronMan 

I meant for you to pull the Direct Input (HA8000) cable out 1 click. The cable you need would be wired:  XLR pin1 to the TRS sleeve. XLR pin 2 to TRS Tip & Ring. XLR pin 3 to TRS sleeve.

A stereo XLR to TRS cable has two XLR plugs connected to a single TRS plug. A single XLR plug to TRS is a balanced cable—It's not stereo. The signal on an XLR cable has one signal on pin 2 and the same signal on pin 3 with reverse phase (180°). This signal into a balanced 1/4" juack is beautiful—all noise on the line is cancelled. Into a stereo input, on the other hand, is not good. If you summed it to mono, only the resultant signal would be just the noise of the cable. 

I was using a similar setuo to yours and the keyboard player injected a balanced signal into the "more me" input. He had turned up the volume to the max and could only here the weak signal when the band stopped playing.