Midas MR18- connect Macbook to internet over Wifi AND control Mixer using ethernet at the same time
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Midas MR18- connect Macbook to internet over Wifi AND control Mixer using ethernet at the same time

Hello! 

I am somewhat new to networking, and I am trying to figure out how I can control my MR18 using the ethernet port on my Macbook Pro and also be able to use the internet by connecting to Wifi at the same time. What do I need to do to configure my network settings to allow this? 

Thanks! 

Derek J Madarasz
derekmadarasz Contributor - Level 1 2020-03-24

2020-03-24

Hello! 

I am somewhat new to networking, and I am trying to figure out how I can control my MR18 using the ethernet port on my Macbook Pro and also be able to use the internet by connecting to Wifi at the same time. What do I need to do to configure my network settings to allow this? 

Thanks! 

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 1

Re: Midas MR18- connect Macbook to internet over Wifi AND control Mixer using ethernet at the same t

@derekmadarasz 

Do you want to be cabled directly to the MR18 and use WiFi on your Mac? Or do you want the MR18 to be connected to hour home router? (The external router is easier)

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Re: Midas MR18- connect Macbook to internet over Wifi AND control Mixer using ethernet at the same t

I currently have my MR18 hardwired through an external router that I use for gigs. From the ethernet out of the mac, into the external router, which connects to the ethernet port on the MR18. I want to be able to connect my computer to my home router to use internet while also being able to have control of the MR18. Right now I can only control one or the other, based off whoever is set first in the network service order(when ethernet is first, I can connect to the mixer but can't get on the internet, when my home Wifi router is first I can get online but cant control the mixer.)
Derek J Madarasz
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 1

@derekmadarasz 

I've had varied results (mostly bad) when using WiFi and ethernet at the same time. Hopefully someone will explain the best way to do multi-homing in this situation. In the meantime, have you set the mixer to be on the same subnet as your home network? For example, mixer at 192.168.0.3 on a network of 192.168.0.1. This way you can either connect via cable or WiFi to the router and then access both the mixer and the internet and not switch interfaces and subgroups. 

Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

@derekmadarasz ,

I agree with Dave @DaveMorrison . I have my MR18 connected to my home router when I'm home (along with my X32 Rack and Wing). Just set the WLan mode to DHCP, set the ethernet switch on the MR18 to ethernet and it's done.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi.

Have you tried internet connection sharing on the Mac?

Its possible that the Mac is unsure just what you want to do since, for the XR18 it needs to be a host and for the WiFi it needs to be a client. If you dont instruct it specifiaclly to do that it assumes its role according to the first connection.

Internet sharing does just that. See https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp1540/mac for instructions.

Dougal.