Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Touch or compact producer

Hi all, 

currenty own an x32 rack and the s16, using laptop and iPad for FOH mixes, I am looking to get something with physical faders, and was looking for some advice, if I use the producer can I not use the built in 16 channels and route my x32 and S16 to channels 1-32, do I need 2 ethercon cables from FOH to accomplish this?  Or do save some $$ and go with the Touch and then I run one 1 Ethernet. Connection back to my board, and perhaps also use Laptop at FOH for the RTA functionality? And comments experiences would be great,

thanks in advanve

JoeWelfeld Contributor - Level 2 2019-06-08

2019-06-08

Touch or compact producer

Hi all, 

currenty own an x32 rack and the s16, using laptop and iPad for FOH mixes, I am looking to get something with physical faders, and was looking for some advice, if I use the producer can I not use the built in 16 channels and route my x32 and S16 to channels 1-32, do I need 2 ethercon cables from FOH to accomplish this?  Or do save some $$ and go with the Touch and then I run one 1 Ethernet. Connection back to my board, and perhaps also use Laptop at FOH for the RTA functionality? And comments experiences would be great,

thanks in advanve

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies
Trusted Contributor - Level 3

Re: Touch or compact producer

Hi @JoeWelfeld 

Yes you can use both the Rack and S16 on stage with one cable to the Producer at FOH. The best routing is: S16>Rack>Producer. It's a great setup with extra benefits. You get redundancy if the Rack were to fail (you'd have to move the producer to the stage) and you get two mix engines. More monitor sends.

If by "Touch" you mean X-Touch (the original-full sized), it does work well. Everything is in banks of eight. The first bank is 8 or 9 button pushes from the last bank though. In combination with a laptop, it's a pretty good setup. 

Contributor - Level 3

Re: Touch or compact producer

I'lll just add that I recommend against getting the Producer.  48 channels + 8 DCAs + 23 buses\mtxs + sends-on-faders + geq-on-faders sounds great... until you realise that's all spread across only 16 faders with no DCA spill\pop groups, no custom fader layout, and no digital scribble strips (and not a lot of room for tape.)