Contributor - Level 2

Wireless headphones and talkback microphone

When mixing wirelessly with a pad going to a rack mixer such as the  X32R, I would like the ability to have a monitor headphone and a wireless talk back microphone. The distance would be between 100 to 150 feet. Is there a common solution for this application? 

There are long distance bluetooth xmitter/receiver adapters but the ones I find will not operate in both receive and transmit mode concurrently (thus would only support the headphone or microphone but not both). Seems like the wireless headphones and microphones have to be two independent systems such that the two will not interfere with each other when the antenna are close. 

dmorrier Contributor - Level 2 2019-09-07

2019-09-07

Wireless headphones and talkback microphone

When mixing wirelessly with a pad going to a rack mixer such as the  X32R, I would like the ability to have a monitor headphone and a wireless talk back microphone. The distance would be between 100 to 150 feet. Is there a common solution for this application? 

There are long distance bluetooth xmitter/receiver adapters but the ones I find will not operate in both receive and transmit mode concurrently (thus would only support the headphone or microphone but not both). Seems like the wireless headphones and microphones have to be two independent systems such that the two will not interfere with each other when the antenna are close. 

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Wireless headphones and talkback microphone

@dmorrier 

Hi Don, some peole use wireless IEM systems to allow remote monitoring - I do so myself. You could also use a wireless mic system for talkback.

The professional brands (e.g. Sennheiser) will operate in close proximity on the same band provided you use the recommended channels. I often use Sennheiser EW100 system beltpack transmitters and receivers together on adjacent channels without any problems. You can sometimes find them on Ebay to lessen the cost impact.

I can't recommend Bluetooth systems for this. Even the recent low-latency types are not very good for monitoring IMO. I would avoid any wireless system that operates on 2.4GHz as it is too crowded for reliable operation.

Highlighted

@dmorrier wrote:

RexBeckett,

Thanks for the valueable information. Do the typical IEM audio amps have the ability to drive over-the-ear headphones? I would like the ability to quickly switch between monitors and listening to the house. 

@dmorrier 

Most IEM receivers should be able to drive typical monitoring headphones. I use headphones with mine and get plenty of level. 

@dmorrier 

Hi Don, some peole use wireless IEM systems to allow remote monitoring - I do so myself. You could also use a wireless mic system for talkback.

The professional brands (e.g. Sennheiser) will operate in close proximity on the same band provided you use the recommended channels. I often use Sennheiser EW100 system beltpack transmitters and receivers together on adjacent channels without any problems. You can sometimes find them on Ebay to lessen the cost impact.

I can't recommend Bluetooth systems for this. Even the recent low-latency types are not very good for monitoring IMO. I would avoid any wireless system that operates on 2.4GHz as it is too crowded for reliable operation.

Contributor - Level 2

RexBeckett,

Thanks for the valueable information. Do the typical IEM audio amps have the ability to drive over-the-ear headphones? I would like the ability to quickly switch between monitors and listening to the house. 

Highlighted

@dmorrier wrote:

RexBeckett,

@dmorrier 

Most IEM receivers should be able to drive typical monitoring headphones. I use headphones with mine and get plenty of level.