Contributor - Level 1

X32 Compact MIDI

I inherited an X32 Compact for my job as a teacher. I'm really liking the mixer and it's more than adequate for our needs, EXCEPT...we use Mainstage. We only have one output from the Mac (and I only want one since we have to setup and teardown quickly), so all mixing from the Mac needs to happen in Mainstage. We are also using other live instruments, so I would prefer to assign three faders to control the levels of the instruments we are using through Mainstage while using the remaining faders to control the live instruments.

This should theoretically be possible using MIDI, but I cannot for the life of me get MIDI to work.I've tried to use both a MIDI In/Out to USB interface and the built-in USB interface on the Behringer. I just updated the firmware to see if it would make a difference. As far as I can tell, I'm getting *nothing* at all on the Mac from the Behringer. I don't think the Behringer is sending any data either in MIDI or Card mode, and it certainly isn't receiving any data. It's not even recognized as a device when I plug it into the Mac and open the Audio MIDI console. I'm going to get an old Windows laptop and see if that makes a difference, but we have to use the Mac so this is merely for trouble-shooting.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

garnern2 Contributor - Level 1 2019-08-26

2019-08-26

X32 Compact MIDI

I inherited an X32 Compact for my job as a teacher. I'm really liking the mixer and it's more than adequate for our needs, EXCEPT...we use Mainstage. We only have one output from the Mac (and I only want one since we have to setup and teardown quickly), so all mixing from the Mac needs to happen in Mainstage. We are also using other live instruments, so I would prefer to assign three faders to control the levels of the instruments we are using through Mainstage while using the remaining faders to control the live instruments.

This should theoretically be possible using MIDI, but I cannot for the life of me get MIDI to work.I've tried to use both a MIDI In/Out to USB interface and the built-in USB interface on the Behringer. I just updated the firmware to see if it would make a difference. As far as I can tell, I'm getting *nothing* at all on the Mac from the Behringer. I don't think the Behringer is sending any data either in MIDI or Card mode, and it certainly isn't receiving any data. It's not even recognized as a device when I plug it into the Mac and open the Audio MIDI console. I'm going to get an old Windows laptop and see if that makes a difference, but we have to use the Mac so this is merely for trouble-shooting.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: X32 Compact MIDI

@garnern2 wrote:

This should theoretically be possible using MIDI, but I cannot for the life of me get MIDI to work.I've tried to use both a MIDI In/Out to USB interface and the built-in USB interface on the Behringer.

The X32 can only receive midi commands for faders if the Setup, Remote, Midi Contro Interface, Midi In/Out is selected and Midi Receive Fader Pos CC is selected. Please understand that you can only send Fader CC, not receive. One other thing to check is that the midi output (from Mac) is plugged into the midi input of the X32. Fader midi control is CC0-79, chan 1, values 0-127

If you require bidirectional communication between Mainstage and X32, consider using OSC protocol via ethernet (UDP).

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Trusted Contributor - Level 3

@garnern2 

Mainstage can send 32 discrete audio signals to your X32 compact over a single USB cable. I would suggest sending all the software instruments to the X32 and use it's mixing facilities rather than spent time remapping the X32's primitive MIDI. You can have audio from the XLR, 1/4 inch, and USB all in the same fader layer with the proper routing.

To troubleshoot the USB connection from the X32 to the mac, start with the following steps:

While the X32 is connected to your mac, hold the "option" key while opening the Apple menu (). Select "System Information...". Look under Hardware—USB. There should be a X-USB entry. If there isn't, then it's a hardware problem. If it is, It's software. There is no driver to install as the X32 is class compliant.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the help. I realized that all of my presets were still there even though I updated the firmware. I just did a factory reset, and everything started working.

I only need volume control from the X32 for Mainstage. Since I am also using actual audio samples, the way I’ve got it setup with the X32 faders controlling the volume of the samples is the simplest way to achieve my goal at this point.

Thanks again!