X32 Compact + X32 Rack + S32 + X-Live + DN32-WSG + SG Server + Super Rack Routing suggestions?
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

X32 Compact + X32 Rack + S32 + X-Live + DN32-WSG + SG Server + Super Rack Routing suggestions?

Hi,

I have had an X32 Rack for a while with a X-Live card and S32 and its amazing! I have just upgraded to a proper FOH console with the X32 Compact instead of having to rely on the iPad (while it was great it wasn't overly tactile).

I am using it to

A) mix a steel band live while they are performing around the country.

B) Record live session

C) Record an album in a makeshift studio live room

D) Mix the tracks which have been recorded

I have just bought the Compact and am trying to work out the best way to use these together for 1) Waves plugins for the live sound

2) Monitoring using IEM's

Do I do the following?

Waves Card <- X32 Compact <-> X32 Rack <-> S32

Waves Card <- X32 Compact <-> S32 <-> X32 Rack

X32 Compact <-> X32 Rack -> S32

^

|

Waves Card

X32 Compact <->  S32 -> X32 Rack

^

|

Waves Card

• Aims are low latency for the IEM's
  • Plugins for the FOH sound
  • Maybe some of the plugins in the IEM's if latency is OK for that
  • X32 Live card will be in one of the mixers for direct out multitracks to SD

Anyone used this in a live setup?

Main plugins I will be using are the SSL channel strip, CLA76, Puigtec compressor, Scheps 73, One knob series, Siblance-Live, and Trueverb or simlar, Doubler 4

Max latency from these plugins should be 0.8ms roundtrip time according to waves so long as I avoid the One knob Driver which adds 10 samples.

Will that be enough for the IEM's to notice? I believe the S32 has a 0.6ms latency and then the board has 0.83ms so we are looking at about 3ms tops 

So many options here and I don't know where to start other than just to try them all!

Attached a video in case anyone cares...

paulsmitz Contributor - Level 2 2020-04-07

2020-04-07

Hi,

I have had an X32 Rack for a while with a X-Live card and S32 and its amazing! I have just upgraded to a proper FOH console with the X32 Compact instead of having to rely on the iPad (while it was great it wasn't overly tactile).

I am using it to

A) mix a steel band live while they are performing around the country.

B) Record live session

C) Record an album in a makeshift studio live room

D) Mix the tracks which have been recorded

I have just bought the Compact and am trying to work out the best way to use these together for 1) Waves plugins for the live sound

2) Monitoring using IEM's

Do I do the following?

Waves Card <- X32 Compact <-> X32 Rack <-> S32

Waves Card <- X32 Compact <-> S32 <-> X32 Rack

X32 Compact <-> X32 Rack -> S32

^

|

Waves Card

X32 Compact <->  S32 -> X32 Rack

^

|

Waves Card

• Aims are low latency for the IEM's
  • Plugins for the FOH sound
  • Maybe some of the plugins in the IEM's if latency is OK for that
  • X32 Live card will be in one of the mixers for direct out multitracks to SD

Anyone used this in a live setup?

Main plugins I will be using are the SSL channel strip, CLA76, Puigtec compressor, Scheps 73, One knob series, Siblance-Live, and Trueverb or simlar, Doubler 4

Max latency from these plugins should be 0.8ms roundtrip time according to waves so long as I avoid the One knob Driver which adds 10 samples.

Will that be enough for the IEM's to notice? I believe the S32 has a 0.6ms latency and then the board has 0.83ms so we are looking at about 3ms tops 

So many options here and I don't know where to start other than just to try them all!

Attached a video in case anyone cares...

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Re: X32 Compact + X32 Rack + S32 + X-Live + DN32-WSG + SG Server + Super Rack Routing suggestions?

@paulsmitz wrote:

Interesting why would that be?

Because putting the S32 in the middle becomes problematic for routing things between consoles. Add to that, the S32 outputs are not available to the console connected to its AES50 B port. 

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Re: X32 Compact + X32 Rack + S32 + X-Live + DN32-WSG + SG Server + Super Rack Routing suggestions?

Hi Paul @paulsmitz 

Thanks for sharing the video (looks like a lot of fun doing sound for them). My vote would be either #1 or #3 (with Rack in between Compact and S32).

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

@paulsmitz wrote:

Because putting the S32 in the middle becomes problematic for routing things between consoles. Add to that, the S32 outputs are not available to the console connected to its AES50 B port. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

ok that really helps things! I guess its 1 vs 3 then... I guess 1 would make the most sense as surely I would want the plugin control on the FOH mixer.

Out of curiosity I guess when routing the outputs from the FOH for the mains I would forward them to the Rack over AES50-A say ports 1 and 2 then in the output routing tab of the rack I would then need to route AES50-A -> to the AES50-B for the 15 and 16 channels. Makes a lot of sense.

Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

@paulsmitz wrote:

when routing the outputs from the FOH for the mains I would forward them to the Rack over AES50-A say ports 1 and 2 then in the output routing tab of the rack I would then need to route AES50-A -> to the AES50-B for the 15 and 16 channels. 

Yes that is how I would do it