Contributor - Level 2

X32 Rack as a splitter: direct outputs plus monitor mixes on aux outputs

I'm ready to enter the X32 family! I'd like to make sure I can use it as I intend to. Here's the idea:

-Plug 6 channels in and Send those 6 channels as direct outs to FOH, using the X32 rack as a splitter.

-Create 6 monitor mixes.

I'd be using the X32 Outputs as direct outs and the Aux outputs as monitor outs. Would that be the best way to go about it?

Tags (3)
JorgeOtero Contributor - Level 2 2019-06-08

2019-06-08

X32 Rack as a splitter: direct outputs plus monitor mixes on aux outputs

I'm ready to enter the X32 family! I'd like to make sure I can use it as I intend to. Here's the idea:

-Plug 6 channels in and Send those 6 channels as direct outs to FOH, using the X32 rack as a splitter.

-Create 6 monitor mixes.

I'd be using the X32 Outputs as direct outs and the Aux outputs as monitor outs. Would that be the best way to go about it?

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: X32 Rack as a splitter: direct outputs plus monitor mixes on aux outputs

@JorgeOtero 

Hi Jorge, welcome to the community.

Do you mean that you want to send the six channels to FOH as analogue lines? If the FOH desk is an X32/M32, you could send them over a single AES50 (digital) cable.

The X32 Rack has eight XLR and six TRS outputs. You can assign these to direct channel outputs, mix outputs and other sources as required. I would use the XLR outputs to feed the FOH desk as you suggested. 

@JorgeOtero 

Hi Jorge, welcome to the community.

Do you mean that you want to send the six channels to FOH as analogue lines? If the FOH desk is an X32/M32, you could send them over a single AES50 (digital) cable.

The X32 Rack has eight XLR and six TRS outputs. You can assign these to direct channel outputs, mix outputs and other sources as required. I would use the XLR outputs to feed the FOH desk as you suggested. 

Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply! So the XLR and TRS outputs can be used interchangeably, that's really good.

This particular venue has a Digico desk. I'm very new to the world of digital live mixers so it's easiest to do this split in analog.

I'm hoping for some other venues to have X32 systems so we can plug in digitally. I'll buy a cable to be prepared! Smiley Happy

@JorgeOtero wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply! So the XLR and TRS outputs can be used interchangeably, that's really good.

This particular venue has a Digico desk. I'm very new to the world of digital live mixers so it's easiest to do this split in analog.

I'm hoping for some other venues to have X32 systems so we can plug in digitally. I'll buy a cable to be prepared! Smiley Happy

@JorgeOtero 

The XLR and TRS outputs are not quite interchangeable, Jorge. The XLRs have a higher maximum output level (+21dBu) and are are fully servo-balanced with a 75 Ohm output impedance. The TRS outputs have a slightly lower maximum level (+16dBu) and have a higher output impedance (300 Ohm balanced). So the XLRs are better for driving long cables to the FOH desk.

Volunteer Moderator

Hi Jorge @JorgeOtero,

Welcome to the forum. The one possible downside of doing it this way is that you will have complete control of the preamps (gains and phantom). If the FOH engineers insists on having preamp control, you will have to use a couple of splitters such as the ART S8 or Behringer MS8000. If they are OK with you controlling the preamps, then what you proposed will work.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you guys! Yes, I had thought about the analog splitter too. Fortunately the FOH is coming with us so gain setting is not a problem.

By the way, I’m extremely impressed with the community support!