Contributor - Level 2

XR 18 X Air

Hello! New to the site, so hopefully this hasn’t been answered many times...... very interested in the XR18 , with friends loving it. I need more than the 16 channels.... can I put 2 of them together and use as one? Will it show and process  32 channels on the iPad? This seems better to me than the mackie 32 ch wireless and much more affordable!!! I currently have the 32 channel sx3242fx eurodesk. Love their products!! Crossing my fingers!!!!! Thank You, Jeff 

JeffMcMahan Contributor - Level 2 2019-08-18

2019-08-18

XR 18 X Air

Hello! New to the site, so hopefully this hasn’t been answered many times...... very interested in the XR18 , with friends loving it. I need more than the 16 channels.... can I put 2 of them together and use as one? Will it show and process  32 channels on the iPad? This seems better to me than the mackie 32 ch wireless and much more affordable!!! I currently have the 32 channel sx3242fx eurodesk. Love their products!! Crossing my fingers!!!!! Thank You, Jeff 

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Re: XR 18 X Air

No unfortunately you can't link XR18s. The only way would be to use one as a submixer to the other with the analogue output of one feeding a couple of channels of the other. What you really need for 32 channels is the X32 Rack I'm afraid. But, of course, an X32 is even more extendible if you should need more channels although you are limited to mixing a maximum of forty of them.

Contributor - Level 2

Thank you for your quick reply!! I’m not tech savvy, but how about this...... if I use them totally independent of each other, could I somehow merge the output from each into a splitter cable and send signal into one power amp, which wouldnthen go to the speakers? Hopefully this question makes sense.... thanks again!! Jeff 

Contributor - Level 3

You can, but you shouldn't.  See here for why.  A proper summing box (or 2,) eg these is the way to go.  The thing is, with 2x XR18s and a couple of summing boxes, you're getting close to X32Rack $ anyway.

PS, re controlling 2x XR18s on a single ipad: The ipad won't let you use 2 instances of the one app, so you'd need to control one XR18 using the XR18 app, and the other using the MR18 app (or perhaps the iPad version of mixing station, the point is you'll need 2 separate apps.)  Of course this means you'll need to be switching between the 2 apps depending on which channel you want to adjust, which can become tedious.  Or you can just use 2 iPads.  Using one app to control a single X32Rack would be a lot easier.

Contributor - Level 2

Thank you so much for your help!! I really like the snakeless iPad controlling, so wanting to move that way. Currently using x3242 xenyx, so I like the behringer line. Another alternative is can I mix my drums into another mixer ( have a few, including the above) , then just place into one input, and hopefully the remaining 15 inputs will take care of my needs? Sorry to be so ignorant... I just bring out my system once a year for a big party!   Thanks again!! Jeff

Valued Contributor - Level 2

Hi @JeffMcMahan ,

I spent the better part of a year working with a theatre group using 2x XR18's (finally replaced with an X32 Rack) and I can tell you it's difficult.  We ended up using 2x iPads and 2x laptops running XAir Edit with an iPad and laptop dedicated to each mixer.  The iPads were fastened to a wooden plank with clear labelling as to what mixer each was controlling.  The output of Mixer #1 (16x talent body miks) was fed into Mixer #2 on Aux 17/18 as a stereo pair and that still left all 16x XLR channels open for other microphones and instruments. 

As far as chaining mixers, feeding a single, mono signal out of a sub-mixer into another mixer loses the stereo imaging set on the sub-mixer. I'd recommend you use a stereo pair to maintain the imaging, particularly for things like drum mixes. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you!!