Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

XR18 Ethernet Connection Mixer<<==>>PC

I have 2 questions. I don't want to connect using WiFi because I have to leave my home internet connection to connect to the XR18 wirelessly. (Windows10)

(1) Can I connect via the Cat5 cable and still maintain my WiFi internet connection?

(2) If so, I don't understand how to connect? How do I get the unit's IP address? Or do I enter an address into the "Static" tab? If so, what address? I *think* I use the LAN tab in Setup and enter an IP and Subnet Mask? There's no gateway, it's directly connected. It's not a WLAN, right? That's wireless and I'm using the Cat5 cable. 

Thanks!

Also, if I add a router for my live gigs do I use access point stay with X AIR Connection like I'm doing now?

Kenneth J Fink
KenFink Contributor - Level 2 2020-03-11

2020-03-11

XR18 Ethernet Connection Mixer<<==>>PC

I have 2 questions. I don't want to connect using WiFi because I have to leave my home internet connection to connect to the XR18 wirelessly. (Windows10)

(1) Can I connect via the Cat5 cable and still maintain my WiFi internet connection?

(2) If so, I don't understand how to connect? How do I get the unit's IP address? Or do I enter an address into the "Static" tab? If so, what address? I *think* I use the LAN tab in Setup and enter an IP and Subnet Mask? There's no gateway, it's directly connected. It's not a WLAN, right? That's wireless and I'm using the Cat5 cable. 

Thanks!

Also, if I add a router for my live gigs do I use access point stay with X AIR Connection like I'm doing now?

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Superhero - Level 3

Re: XR18 Ethernet Connection Mixer<<==>>PC

@KenFink wrote:

Rex,

Thanks for the quick response. Fantastic. Here's the follow-up question.  You said in #2, ".This is configured on the Setup -> LAN tab when X-Air Edit is connected to the XR18 (usually through the Access Point)."

Right now I am connected to the X AIR via the X AIR Connection. I lost you here. I think you are saying that I must be connected to the XR18 to assign it an address, which makes sense. But why usually through the access point? I have never used that. I always used the X AIR Connection. Does it matter? If it doesn't then I connect as normal through the X AIR Connection tab, then go to the LAN tab and configure it the way you said. 

"To make the wired connection active, move the network mode switch to Wifi Client, wait ten seconds and then move it to Ethernet. Your PC should now be able to connect through the wired LAN." I am already in the WiFi Client state when I do this, so I can just wait 10 seconds and then move it to Ethernet? If not, what am I missing? 

Thanks!

@KenFink 

You are correct: The important bit is that you can only configure the XR18 network when you are connected to it. The built-in access point is usually the easiest way to connect but it doesn't matter which of the network modes you use. 

If you are already using the Wifi Client mode, switch to Access Point for ten seconds and then to Ethernet. You just need to break the network connection for a few seconds so that the new settings are used when you reconnect.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@KenFink 

(1) Yes you can have a wired LAN connection to an XR18 and a wireless connection to your home router. It is important to make sure that the two networks have different subnet addresses so the PC can route traffic correctly. e.g. If the Wifi network is 192.168.1.xxx, the XR18 could be 192.168.18.xxx to avoid confusion.

(2) The easiest way to is to make the XR18 a DHCP Server. It will then provide the PC (client) with an IP address. This is configured on the Setup -> LAN tab when X-Air Edit is connected to the XR18 (usually through the Access Point). Click on DHCP Server, enter an IP Address (e.g. 192.168.18.1), Subnet Mask (255.255.255.0) and leave Gateway as 0.0.0.0. Click on Apply. To make the wired connection active, move the network mode switch to Wifi Client, wait ten seconds and then move it to Ethernet. Your PC should now be able to connect through the wired LAN.

When you use an external router (ideally 5GHz Wifi) for gigs, you should make the XR18 a DHCP client so the router provides IP addresses to the XR18 and any PC and tablets you use. This is again done on the Setup -> LAN tab while X-Air Edit is connected to the XR18. Click on DHCP and then Apply. The other fields are ignored.

If your external router has a WAN port, you could leave the XR18 set as DHCP Server and connect it to this port. The router will now connect its Wifi and LAN ports to the XR18 on the WAN port and translate the addresses between the two networks. This may be the best option as it avoids changing the XR18 network settings when switching from home use to gigs.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Rex,

Thanks for the quick response. Fantastic. Here's the follow-up question.  You said in #2, ".This is configured on the Setup -> LAN tab when X-Air Edit is connected to the XR18 (usually through the Access Point)."

Right now I am connected to the X AIR via the X AIR Connection. I lost you here. I think you are saying that I must be connected to the XR18 to assign it an address, which makes sense. But why usually through the access point? I have never used that. I always used the X AIR Connection. Does it matter? If it doesn't then I connect as normal through the X AIR Connection tab, then go to the LAN tab and configure it the way you said. 

"To make the wired connection active, move the network mode switch to Wifi Client, wait ten seconds and then move it to Ethernet. Your PC should now be able to connect through the wired LAN." I am already in the WiFi Client state when I do this, so I can just wait 10 seconds and then move it to Ethernet? If not, what am I missing? 

Thanks!

Kenneth J Fink
Superhero - Level 3

@KenFink wrote:

Rex,

Thanks!

@KenFink 

You are correct: The important bit is that you can only configure the XR18 network when you are connected to it. The built-in access point is usually the easiest way to connect but it doesn't matter which of the network modes you use. 

If you are already using the Wifi Client mode, switch to Access Point for ten seconds and then to Ethernet. You just need to break the network connection for a few seconds so that the new settings are used when you reconnect.

View solution in original post