Re: XR18 Wifi networks dropping out mid-show. Finally not recognized at all.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

XR18 Wifi networks dropping out mid-show. Finally not recognized at all.

I play in a trio, we use the XR18 with an iPad mini to run the PA. The wi-fi connection to the XR18 consistently dropped out...off and on all night.  When the connection drops, the iPad attempts to re-connect with varying success. The last show it dropped out and didn't connect again for 20+ minutes of troubleshooting, restarting, etc.

This is unacceptable. I'd like help making this connection more reliable. At present I create the wifi network with the Behringer XR18 as the access point.  I don't have WEP or static IP set up (is that better??)  The iPad I normally use is the iPad mini 2, and is reliable in all other instances and applications.

Can someone PLEASE help me here?

ScottDickens Contributor - Level 2 2019-05-23

2019-05-23

XR18 Wifi networks dropping out mid-show. Finally not recognized at all.

I play in a trio, we use the XR18 with an iPad mini to run the PA. The wi-fi connection to the XR18 consistently dropped out...off and on all night.  When the connection drops, the iPad attempts to re-connect with varying success. The last show it dropped out and didn't connect again for 20+ minutes of troubleshooting, restarting, etc.

This is unacceptable. I'd like help making this connection more reliable. At present I create the wifi network with the Behringer XR18 as the access point.  I don't have WEP or static IP set up (is that better??)  The iPad I normally use is the iPad mini 2, and is reliable in all other instances and applications.

Can someone PLEASE help me here?

• 0 Kudos
  • 11 Replies
Rock Star - Level 1

@ScottDickens 

The built in WiFi is an old version and not stable in the presence of interfering cell phones. Force everyone to turn off their phones😉. 

Seriously, an external router using the 5MHz band is your best bet.

AC750 or AC1200 or even AC1750 speeds are good choices. Multiple external antenna are desirable (MIMO). Disable 2.4GHz band 

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Is there an easy guide to how to incorporate any of these? I assume you just set up a local net, but do you use a static IP and let the XR18 act as a client? Is there an easy help page you’d recommend?

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 1

@ScottDickens wrote:

I assume you just set up a local net, but do you use a static IP and let the XR18 act as a client? Is there an easy help page you’d recommend?

Yes, just a local net. DHCP or static. The choice is yours. I like mine static so I know where it is. It's pretty straightforward. Most of the configuration is done in the router, so it's depends what you buy. 

Here is a page from behringer's wiki https://behringerwiki.musictribe.com/index.php?title=4._Network_Connection .

I hope this helps.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hey Dave, I ended up picking up the AC1750 Dual Band Smart WiFi Router, Gigabit Ethernet (R6700)

I have not set it up yet - any helpful hints?  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 1

@ScottDickens 

Put tape over the internet port. I accidentally plugged into the internet port, I started to panic when I couldn't connect (and it was my son's wedding).

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

So you're connecting your XR18 via LAN/ethernet to the router?  Then logging in to the XR18 with mobile divice via Wi-Fi?  Or establishing the network with the router, then logging in to the XR18 with a static IP you create in your router setup?  I'm sure I'm making this harder than it is...

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

For what it's worth....

I recently bought an MR18. The built-in wi-fi access point worked flawlessly for hours at a time at indoor events with A/C. Until last night when it basically deteriorated as Scott noted and stopped working at all at an outdoor event where the might've been 80°F or warmer). Fortunately, the sound check settings were good enough to get us through the event. Today, indoors again with A/C, it worked just fine.

I think the problem may be heat rejection; I believe the WiFi IC was overheating. Using WiFiAnalyzer on my Android phone, I could see the MR18's signal appear for a few seconds, then disappear and come back fairly quickly. Over and over. My phone would try to connect, then immediately disconnect, as though the MR18 simply could not transmit at that low-ish power level.

I suspect a bit of a design flaw. The MR18 (and likely the XR18) needs a good deal more air flow to remove heat from the unit. That little fan just doesn't move enough air. A 60mm or 80mm 12VDC fan running at 5VDC might move enough air to keep it cool, yet be nearly silent. I haven't looked inside yet, but I suspect the WiFi IC may need a heat sink to help it keep its cool.

Yes, I know an external WiFi unit would likely fare much better. And I have a Buffalo WZR-600DHP that I can repurpose. But it'd be nice to have the internal unit working as intended.

Aside, a nice addition to the WiFi operations firmware would be a function that looks at existing APs and determines  which channel (1, 6 or 11) would be best to use. Essentially it would make a best guess as to which channel would suffer the least RF interference.

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 1

@ScottDickens wrote:

So you're connecting your XR18 via LAN/ethernet to the router?  Then logging in to the XR18 with mobile divice via Wi-Fi?  Or establishing the network with the router, then logging in to the XR18 with a static IP you create in your router setup?  I'm sure I'm making this harder than it is...

Sorry I didn't see your latest reply.

Establish the network with the router and use it's built in DHCP server. From the tablet, find the router's SSID (just like any WiFi connection), put in the password. Now you are connected to the router. Open the  app the controls your XR18 and it will either search for the XR18 or you can put in the address manually.

The XR18 can either be set to have a Static address (manual) or get it from the router automatically (DHCP).

Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

@NealMurphy wrote:

I suspect a bit of a design flaw. The MR18 (and likely the XR18) needs a good deal more air flow to remove heat from the unit. That little fan just doesn't move enough air. A 60mm or 80mm 12VDC fan running at 5VDC might move enough air to keep it cool, yet be nearly silent. I haven't looked inside yet, but I suspect the WiFi IC may need a heat sink to help it keep its cool.

Just to inform you that there is no fan in the XR18 or MR18. When we inquired about a fan when these consoles were first released, we were told that, after rigorous testing, it was decided that it was unnecessary.

Yes, I know an external WiFi unit would likely fare much better. And I have a Buffalo WZR-600DHP that I can repurpose. But it'd be nice to have the internal unit working as intended.

Actually it is functioning as intended, just not as desired. The internal wifi module is a wireless G (which was popular before cellphones were popular), not a wireless N unit. These had a much less signal strength and less security settings. 

Aside, a nice addition to the WiFi operations firmware would be a function that looks at existing APs and determines  which channel (1, 6 or 11) would be best to use. Essentially it would make a best guess as to which channel would suffer the least RF interference.

That was never available for the wireless G. But that is a major issue with the 2.4Ghz band. About 3 years ago, I was setting up for my town's major summer event in a parking lot in the centre of town.. Back then all my tablets were 2.4Ghz only. Scanning the 2.4 with my wifi app, I found a number of retail stores' wifi's. The problem was that almost all of them were set on auto scan and I saw them constantly changing channels trying to find the best (clear) channel. Because of this the tablets I was providing the performers to mix their monitor mixes was quite sporatic. Since that experience, I retired those tablets for ones with dual band. Now I only use the 5Ghz band for all of my events. The 2.4Ghz is just too conjested to be reliable.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!