Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

XR18 and live streaming audio via usb to FB through an android phone

As per the subject title.

I have an xr18 and a hauwei android phone.

I have successfully recorded into cakewalk with the XR18.

But I wish to use, if it's possible, the XR18 usb output for the audio to accompany the video in a FB livestream effectively replacing the phone's mic audio.

Is this even possible??

TIA.

Dan

DanB1982 Contributor - Level 2 2020-05-16

2020-05-16

XR18 and live streaming audio via usb to FB through an android phone

As per the subject title.

I have an xr18 and a hauwei android phone.

I have successfully recorded into cakewalk with the XR18.

But I wish to use, if it's possible, the XR18 usb output for the audio to accompany the video in a FB livestream effectively replacing the phone's mic audio.

Is this even possible??

TIA.

Dan

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

Re: XR18 and live streaming audio via usb to FB through an android phone

@DanB1982 

Hello Dan, welcome to the community.

You can connect an XR18 USB to some Android phones by using an OTG adapter or cable. It depends on whether the phone manufacturer included this functionality in their Android implementation. I think there is more chance of success with recent phones that have USB-C connectors.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Dan,

Yes, it is possible, however, I use an iphone, your mileage may vary.  My success resulted from using a lightning to USB audio adapter straight into my phone, setting up the XR18 to 2CH instead of 18/18...however, I don't think you really need to do that part.  BUT you do set the USB sends on Channels 1 and 2 to Main L & R.  that's it.  That's all I had to do.  This is for streaming straight from phone to FB live.  Folks were impressed and said it sounded great.  It's very easy with the XR18...seems like it anyway.  Not only do my friend and I gig with it live, but it is my recording interface and now live streaming too.  I can use it with Facetime, Skype, Zoom, you name it.  Just have to make sure the routing is right.  Now as far as whether your android is capable of taking a usb audio in is another story...that's a problem you'll have to solve.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I fiddled around and got it to work, your description above was correct, I just had to change the audio source in developer mode on my android.

cheers