Contributor - Level 2

XR18 to IQ15

What is the best way to hook up XR18 to IQ15 speakers? Currently using XLR to each speaker, with input on speakers set to Mic. What I don't understand is that when the input switch on the IQ15s are set to Line, I get almost nothing out of the speakers. I guess I don't understand the difference between Mic and Line for signal input on these speakers.  I may go ahead and get some Cat 5 cables and give that a try but fear it may be over my head. Just so you know, I'm new to running any kind of legit PA system and I have no clue what the hell I'm doing. I'm a master at HVAC but a hobbyist drummer that recently was given lead vocal duties in our little cover band, so I got a kick ass PA. I just need a little guidance.

Daverhoid Contributor - Level 2 2019-07-06

2019-07-06

XR18 to IQ15

What is the best way to hook up XR18 to IQ15 speakers? Currently using XLR to each speaker, with input on speakers set to Mic. What I don't understand is that when the input switch on the IQ15s are set to Line, I get almost nothing out of the speakers. I guess I don't understand the difference between Mic and Line for signal input on these speakers.  I may go ahead and get some Cat 5 cables and give that a try but fear it may be over my head. Just so you know, I'm new to running any kind of legit PA system and I have no clue what the hell I'm doing. I'm a master at HVAC but a hobbyist drummer that recently was given lead vocal duties in our little cover band, so I got a kick ass PA. I just need a little guidance.

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: XR18 to IQ15

Hi David @Daverhoid,

Welcome to the forum. Connecting the XR18 to iQ speakers, you want the input on line, not mic since the XR18 outputs line level. If it isn't loud enough it means that the iQ input gains are set too low. Increase them to around 0db to start with, then adjust accordingly.

Mic level is 1/10 or lower than line level. That means the input has to accommodate that difference. Mic inputs go through a preamp in the iQ to raise the signal to line level.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the answer Paul @Paul_Vannatto . Is the input gain not just knob or do I need to get into the LCD menus to set that? There is more to the story. I'm pretty sure the Line In worked originally but we got a little loud and toasty and had a pretty gnarly feedback event. I had the FB suppression set on Auto, yet things got out of control. It took a few seconds to get things muted and then one iq wasn't working. After flipping switches and stuff, found that Line In is pretty non existent on both speakers. Mic In works perfectly. I can't imagine that the feedback episode fried anything but maybe it did. I'd rank the feedback episode a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10. That shouldn't harm such good speakers IMHO

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

*Update* Figured out the the feedback suppression needed to be reset. Apparently it was killing all the frequencies. I guess the feedback episode was worse than I remembered. Needless to say, I likely won't enable Auto Feedback Suppression in the DSP anymore. All is working well now.

Volunteer Moderator

Hi David @Daverhoid,

Glad to hear that you figured it out. Sorry I didn't get back to you (crazy busy last few days).

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

If I could suggest something is this,to prevent this ever happening again make sure you have all of your Aux's and main faders at a low setting or muted so you can avoid an unexpected loud feedback~ Guess how I know!!!!!