Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

XR18

Hi we just purchased and XR18 and the signal output is very weak compared to other mixers.   I have tested setting the input at zero along with all compression and eq off, channel at zero and main output at zero.  

When compared to other mixers connected to our EV powered system the volume level is very weak. 

I've reset the unit.  I've switched cables, switched channels.  Using the same mic and chord.    Anyone have any experience with XR18 having a weak audio output?   

Allan Harris
Allanh56 Contributor - Level 2 2020-02-12

2020-02-12

XR18

Hi we just purchased and XR18 and the signal output is very weak compared to other mixers.   I have tested setting the input at zero along with all compression and eq off, channel at zero and main output at zero.  

When compared to other mixers connected to our EV powered system the volume level is very weak. 

I've reset the unit.  I've switched cables, switched channels.  Using the same mic and chord.    Anyone have any experience with XR18 having a weak audio output?   

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

Re: XR18

@Allanh56 

The maximum output of the XR18 is 16dBu. This is about 6dB lower than many consoles. It is usually possible to raise the gain of PA amplifiers or powered-speakers to allow for the lower output level.

While it would be noticeable, I wouldn't classify a 6dB difference as very weak. Check that you are using the correct cables to maintain the balanced outputs. Standard XLR-M to XLR-F balanced cables should be used.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Rex, I sure appreciate the info.  Since I posted this I've researched more and found other forums with users having the same issue.   6db is not a huge difference in output.   But I agree it's a noticable change in level. 

I compared it to a Allen and Heath Mix Wizard and the volume level.  (with everything set at zero on both units) was way louder.  More than 6db without me even having a device to measure.  

You helped me understand a lot more about the XR18 than I did.    Do you know if the X32 producer mixer has a higher db output.   I get confused but I thought I read it was 21db.   Would you happen to know if I read that correctly?  

I can turn up the levels on our EV speakers but I've found pushing levels on powered speaker does not bring up all frequencies evenly.  I know that sounds crazy to anyone that could say I can hear that but I do.  And it requires a change of the eq in the mixer to try to balance it make to the even eq of a powered speaker set at zero or in the middle.   Thanks so much for the info.   If I find the X32 pro mixer has a higher output I may just return the XR18 and upgrade.   

Let me know your opinion as you seem quite knowledgable.   Thanks so much again.  

Allan Harris
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@Allanh56 wrote:

Rex, I sure appreciate the info.  Since I posted this I've researched more and found other forums with users having the same issue.   6db is not a huge difference in output.   But I agree it's a noticable change in level. 

I compared it to a Allen and Heath Mix Wizard and the volume level.  (with everything set at zero on both units) was way louder.  More than 6db without me even having a device to measure.  

You helped me understand a lot more about the XR18 than I did.    Do you know if the X32 producer mixer has a higher db output.   I get confused but I thought I read it was 21db.   Would you happen to know if I read that correctly?  

I can turn up the levels on our EV speakers but I've found pushing levels on powered speaker does not bring up all frequencies evenly.  I know that sounds crazy to anyone that could say I can hear that but I do.  And it requires a change of the eq in the mixer to try to balance it make to the even eq of a powered speaker set at zero or in the middle.   Thanks so much for the info.   If I find the X32 pro mixer has a higher output I may just return the XR18 and upgrade.   

Let me know your opinion as you seem quite knowledgable.   Thanks so much again.  

@Allanh56 

The XLR outputs on the X32 give a maximum level of 21dB. The Aux (TRS) outputs are max 16dB.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks so much Rex.  I have a much better understanding thanks to your reply.   I have done more research, more videos, more experiementation, etc.

It is a weaker signal but I do think I can compensate with higher input gain levels on channels and boosting the speaker power levels a little.    The reviews on the XR18 seem to be very good so I have to believe many people out there are happy with the unit.  

I appreciate your knowledge.   Allan

Allan Harris