Contributor - Level 2

laptop to mixer

hello anyone who can help.

scenario
win 10..laptop ,  itunes for windows.
behringer eurorack ub12fx
pre recorded backing tracks.
mini jack out of laptop to quarter jack into  unbalanced line in on desk 
the jack lead  has two rings at the mini jack end and also the quarter jack end.
my problem is that if i plug the jack all the way into desk i get a crap sound, i have to mess around with the jack till i get a good sound,about half way in. ive lived with this for a while but came across this site and thought i would try my luck for any info.
thanks

pjoy1956 Contributor - Level 2 2019-08-27

2019-08-27

laptop to mixer

hello anyone who can help.

scenario
win 10..laptop ,  itunes for windows.
behringer eurorack ub12fx
pre recorded backing tracks.
mini jack out of laptop to quarter jack into  unbalanced line in on desk 
the jack lead  has two rings at the mini jack end and also the quarter jack end.
my problem is that if i plug the jack all the way into desk i get a crap sound, i have to mess around with the jack till i get a good sound,about half way in. ive lived with this for a while but came across this site and thought i would try my luck for any info.
thanks

• 0 Kudos
  • 8 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: laptop to mixer

@pjoy1956 

Hello Paul, welcome to the forum.

You need to use a stereo splitter cable like this to connect your laptop stereo headphone output to two mono inputs (or the left and right inputs of a stereo channel) on your mixer.

Contributor - Level 2

Hello Rex
thanks for quick reply and solution.

would  a mini jack out of laptop to a balanced xlr to mixer input work? i dont have one but if it works i would go for that,im limited to inputs...2x vocal 1x sax 1x laptop.
i could use the stereo phono into desk but i want the option of the eq.
thanks again.

@pjoy1956 wrote:

Hello Rex
thanks for quick reply and solution.

would  a mini jack out of laptop to a balanced xlr to mixer input work? i dont have one but if it works i would go for that,im limited to inputs...2x vocal 1x sax 1x laptop.
i could use the stereo phono into desk but i want the option of the eq.
thanks again.

@pjoy1956 

You could use a stereo splitter cable like this for two XLR inputs. I can't find an online manual or spec for UB12FX so I can't check the input sensitivity. If the inputs have a pad button, you may need push it in so the laptop output doesn't overload the inputs.

Contributor - Level 2

thanks again.
i gave wrong info on desk, its eurorack ub 1202fx.
i think im going to have to carry on using the lead im using because i dont have enough inputs.
i have 4 main inputs with eq but all the other options for inputs dont have eq.
thanks again.

@pjoy1956 wrote:

thanks again.
i gave wrong info on desk, its eurorack ub 1202fx.
i think im going to have to carry on using the lead im using because i dont have enough inputs.
i have 4 main inputs with eq but all the other options for inputs dont have eq.
thanks again.

@pjoy1956 

So are you connecting your stereo laptop output to one mono input channel on your mixer? You would get better sound if you used the stereo splitter cable and mixer inputs 5&6. Many music player apps can apply EQ if required.

Valued Contributor - Level 1

Hi @pjoy1956 ,

I agree with @RexBeckett  on using a mini-stereo to dual-mono splitter into line 5/6 and doing the EQ on the laptop. To access the EQ in iTunes for Windows, click on View->Show Equalizer or type Ctrl+Shift+2.   

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Rex
So are you connecting your stereo laptop output to one mono input channel on your mixer?YES... You would get better sound if you used the stereo splitter cable and mixer inputs 5&6. Many music player apps can apply EQ if required.

thanks so much for time.
i get what your saying but  i want to able to eq on the fly , i cant mess around with itunes eq whilst im playing hah.

so i have 2 options ...1 get a bigger desk or 2...get back to my DAW and spend more time normalising/equalising and use line in 5/6 or phono in.
i really appreciate your advice/tips.
thanks again.

Contributor - Level 2

Ken
thanks for input.
refer to my last reply to Rex.
thanks.