Contributor - Level 2

md16

Why are the aux's hotter then hell, and the mains nothing? Aux 1 is the running monitors with volume sitting on 2 and peeling the paint off the back wall. Mains, I set first stage gain, run channel fader to unity, mains 4 to 5 and nothing. I have to push mains up to 9, no headroom, not good. I have more volume coming from stage then the mains, using one amp for mains, and monitors, so mains are paned left. Not happy, was trying to replace a very old Yamaha mg16 running the same way where my master was on about 3, hope someone can help.

yamadog Contributor - Level 2 2019-12-02

2019-12-02

md16

Why are the aux's hotter then hell, and the mains nothing? Aux 1 is the running monitors with volume sitting on 2 and peeling the paint off the back wall. Mains, I set first stage gain, run channel fader to unity, mains 4 to 5 and nothing. I have to push mains up to 9, no headroom, not good. I have more volume coming from stage then the mains, using one amp for mains, and monitors, so mains are paned left. Not happy, was trying to replace a very old Yamaha mg16 running the same way where my master was on about 3, hope someone can help.

• 0 Kudos
  • 10 Replies
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Re: md16

Is this an MR16?...or md16?

Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

@GaryHiggins wrote:

Is this an MR16?...or md16?

Or a Midas DM16?

Contributor - Level 2

Sorry, Midas DDA,  MD16

Contributor - Level 2

I do not understand why I can't type, sorry. DM16,

@yamadog wrote:

I do not understand why I can't type, sorry. DM16,

@yamadog 

The Aux TRS outputs and the Main XLR outputs on the DM16 are both balanced and drive up to +21dBu. That should be enough for most amps/speakers. How are you connecting your main amps/speakers? What type of cable are you using? Which connectors on the DM16? What make/model of amp/speaker are you using? 

Valued Contributor - Level 2

@yamadog I suspect it's the pre/post position setting on the aux's. Your gain staging should occur first and once set should be left alone. Most monitors would be set pre eq/fader so as not to change when altering FOH ch levels. That allows the aux knob to adjust independently of FOH, except gain-that will be the same for both and why you set it first. If you had your aux set to post, every time you push up the FOH ch's you also push up the monitors levels.

Contributor - Level 2

No, not pre/post, first stage gain is set correctly, (voltage as in .775v or 1v) I've been running this small system for over seven years (house gig) with a Yamaha MG16. Aux:1 for ,monitors out 1/4 T/S, to BBE, to ch. 2. Europower EP2500, to two JBL's JRX100 daisy chain about 750 watts. Mains: every channel panned left, 1/4 T/S, to BBE, to ch.1 on the same amp, to two JBL's Eon 1500' daisy chained about 750 watts. Yamaha was starting to show it's age, so I replaced it with the Midas DM16 the only thing that changed, I now come out of the main left with and XLR. Master fader on Yamaha sat on about 3, Master on Midas sits around 9, no headroom. It's not the amp I've switch sides, not the speakers I switch them too.

@yamadog wrote:

No, not pre/post, first stage gain is set correctly, (voltage as in .775v or 1v) I've been running this small system for over seven years (house gig) with a Yamaha MG16. Aux:1 for ,monitors out 1/4 T/S, to BBE, to ch. 2. Europower EP2500, to two JBL's JRX100 daisy chain about 750 watts. Mains: every channel panned left, 1/4 T/S, to BBE, to ch.1 on the same amp, to two JBL's Eon 1500' daisy chained about 750 watts. Yamaha was starting to show it's age, so I replaced it with the Midas DM16 the only thing that changed, I now come out of the main left with and XLR. Master fader on Yamaha sat on about 3, Master on Midas sits around 9, no headroom. It's not the amp I've switch sides, not the speakers I switch them too.

@yamadog 

So the bigest change is that you were using an unbalanced TS jack for the output of the MG16 but you are now using a balanced XLR on the DM16. Are you sure that the new cable is wired correctly? To take an unbalanced output from a balanced XLR socket the cable should be wired like this:

Unbalanced XLR-F to TS.PNG

Contributor - Level 2

Balance to balance, Main out, left ch. XLR out, pin 2 hot, to brand new, BBE 882i XLR in, pin 2 hot, BBE is plus 4, can't find if DM16 is plus 4 or -10. How I'm running it, Aux impedance,120ohms unbalanced out to unbalanced in. Mains impedance 100ohms balanced out to balanced in. I have even bypassed the BBE.