Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

s16 Erratic phantom power channel behaviour

Hello! I am stuck with a problem,

I have been using my s16 stagebox for some time with no issues, but recently I have experienced issues with enabling and disabling the 9-16 channel bank phantom power. It is a consistent problem/fault and I am hoping someone might be able to tell me if I have a faulty stagebox... and what to do about it.

From COLD, unconnected (no connection to console) state, the unit powers on perfectly, but channel 15 shows enables phantom power, even though it is set to OFF on the unit, and the 48v button is not lit. The LED remains on and the phantom power is present on the input...

After using the 48v power button to switch it on, the button lights up as usual, but then channel 9-15 phantom power LEDs all light up, and nothing can be done to switch them off again. Powering the unit off and on again and the LEDs don't go out, on power up, the phantom LEDs on channels 9-15 all come on.

If I leave the unit for an hour or so, and power up again, only the channel 15 phantom LED comes on, and I'm back to square one.

The audio on all 16 channels work fine, and channels 1-8 behave normally, and work normally too.

There has been no physical impact to the unit, and it has only had very light use as per my photos. Only been gigged a handful of times, and stored in ambient dry temperatures from new. Oh, and flightcased from new.

Do I need to return the unit for repair? If so - how?

Thank you for your help Smiley Happy

Aaron Plant Mobile +44 (0)7775 504337
Tags (3)
AaronPlant Contributor - Level 2 2020-03-17

2020-03-17

s16 Erratic phantom power channel behaviour

Hello! I am stuck with a problem,

I have been using my s16 stagebox for some time with no issues, but recently I have experienced issues with enabling and disabling the 9-16 channel bank phantom power. It is a consistent problem/fault and I am hoping someone might be able to tell me if I have a faulty stagebox... and what to do about it.

From COLD, unconnected (no connection to console) state, the unit powers on perfectly, but channel 15 shows enables phantom power, even though it is set to OFF on the unit, and the 48v button is not lit. The LED remains on and the phantom power is present on the input...

After using the 48v power button to switch it on, the button lights up as usual, but then channel 9-15 phantom power LEDs all light up, and nothing can be done to switch them off again. Powering the unit off and on again and the LEDs don't go out, on power up, the phantom LEDs on channels 9-15 all come on.

If I leave the unit for an hour or so, and power up again, only the channel 15 phantom LED comes on, and I'm back to square one.

The audio on all 16 channels work fine, and channels 1-8 behave normally, and work normally too.

There has been no physical impact to the unit, and it has only had very light use as per my photos. Only been gigged a handful of times, and stored in ambient dry temperatures from new. Oh, and flightcased from new.

Do I need to return the unit for repair? If so - how?

Thank you for your help Smiley Happy

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

Re: s16 Erratic phantom power channel behaviour

@AaronPlant 

Sorry to hear about your issue, wondering if the firmware is updated, and what firmware your mixer is on.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Gary,

The mixer has been updated recently to the latest - v4.02 I think within the last few weeks? But as I said, this issue is present even without the mixer connected... the behaviour of the channels is still the same.

The S16 I cannot check because I cannot install the updater in Windows 10 because it is not signed properly by Behringer, and I get all kinds of error when I try to install it. I keep getting messages to check whether it installed properly, but it won't even start...! Nothing comes up on screen when I run the executable.

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@AaronPlant Hi, in a recent thread I believe it was discovered that it won't run with usb 3, do you have and 2.0 ports? Also try running as admin and turning off Win defender. I think the firmware could possibly help but fear it's a hardware issue. Hope not.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your help. As it happens, the interface is connected to a USB 2.0 port already, and I had already tried running as administrator, and now I've tried it with the Windows Defender Virus and Threat protection turned off, app & browser control 'check apps and files' off, Smartscreen off. Basically turning it all back into a Windows XP machine... I wonder just how old the tools are that have been used to create this software, but still wont work. I get a VERY brief app window open then close, but you have to be really quick to catch it with the naked eye. No messages, it just closes again... I'm stuck now, I don't think there's anything else I can do? I also get an error when I connect the interface via USB saying its not recognised...

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@AaronPlant 

People have been successful with using a borrowed Win 7 laptop-a total pain I know but supposedly it worked. The last update was I think March 2019 so one might think the software to do it would be up to date. Wish I knew the answer.

Contributor - Level 2

Hi Gary,

No matter, I really appreciate your help, and I think now I am convinced that the unit is going to have to go back for repair unfortunately... It's a shame, and I have no idea if this is going to write it off or not, but thanks for your help. You are a credit to the community Smiley Happy