Performance

+4 -10 button on Xenyx mixer

Contributor - Level 2
I'm sure this will enter me into the dumb question of the week contest, but is the +4 -10 button on some Xenyx mixers (eg, my QX1202USB) anything other than a pad?

Cheers!
Tags (3)
7 REPLIES 7

Re: +4 -10 button on Xenyx mixer

Volunteer Moderator
No, it is just a pad that adapts the input to different (consumer and pro) line levels. The dB diff is 12dB.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Volunteer Moderator
Hi David,

The answer to your question is yes sort of. There are 2 standard output levels available. The consumer type equipment, such as DVD players, etc. use the -10 db level outputs. Professional type equipment, such as the X32 use the +4 db level outputs. This switch adjusts the outputs of these small mixers accordingly.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 3
This switch adjusts the outputs of these small mixers accordingly.

Except in this case it's adjusting the *input* sensitivity for ch5-12. If whatever's plugged into those inputs is "consumer grade" and runs at -10dBu, then you should have those buttons pushed in, so the input knows what level of signal to expect and can operate at the correct sensitivity. If you're running pro level gear that runs at +4dBu, then leave the buttons up.

Contributor - Level 2
Thanks to all of you for your replies 

another (dumb?) question...

Contributor - Level 2
A follow up. What are the line inputs expecting on mixers that don't have said switch? Examples are the 302, 502, 802 and UFX1204 mixers that I have. Are they designed for -10 or +4?

Contributor - Level 3
Not sure off the top of my head; you'd need to read the specs sheet for the individual mixer to be certain. As a general rule I'd say that if the inputs are RCA they're probably expecting a -10dB signal, if they're TRS they're expecting a +4dB signal, but double check with the specs sheet.

Volunteer Moderator
Usually, those mixers without a pad has a wider range of input gain compared to those who have so a pad is not necessary for input level control.

Since the different dB numbers are being jumbled around in this thread; Please note the difference in dB labeling. -10dBV vs. +4dBu. 0dBV is not equal to 0dBu! -10dBV and +4dBu differs by 11.8dB and not 14dB as one first would suspect.

David Plunkett;158634 wrote:
A follow up. What are the line inputs expecting on mixers that don't have said switch? Examples are the 302, 502, 802 and UFX1204 mixers that I have. Are they designed for -10 or +4?
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors