Live Sound

Join fellow sound engineers and discuss everything about live sound. Talk about your favorite experiences, the gear you use, anything!

XR18 Wi-fi

Contributor - Level 2

Hi! New to the community and new to digital mixers overall. I have played around with quite a few DAW's overf the years so I don't think it will take much to get used to the interface. I'm thinking about purchasing the XR18 for my 5 piece rock band. My only concern is with the wi-fi. We don't really play large venues...usually smaller venues with 30-40 people so I'm not really expecting a lot of wi-fi congestion. However it is still a concern. What happens when I loose wi-fi connection? Let's say we're in the middle of a set and in the middle of a kick ass song...everyone is in sync and lead guitar player is laying down some great lick and we loose wi-fi connection. Do we loose the sound or do we just loose the capabilites of make any sound adjustments? TIA for your response.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: XR18 Wi-fi

Volunteer Moderator

Hi @TedJones,

Welcome to the forum. Have no fear. If you lose wifi connection, you only lose control. Audio will continue as set. But I would strongly recommend that you use a dual band external router and use the 5Ghz band for wifi control for any live events. Dual band wifi routers (such as DLink) are very inexpensive and well worth the peace of mind that it will provide.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Highlighted

Contributor - Level 3

@TedJones wrote:
Hi Paul... something else real quick... Does the xr18 have built in phantom power... Don't see any mention of it in the manual.

Yes, 48 Volt phantom power is available on all 16 mic channels. You can enable it for each channel using one of the control apps (X  Air Edit, Mixing Station, etc).

6 REPLIES 6

Volunteer Moderator

Hi @TedJones,

Welcome to the forum. Have no fear. If you lose wifi connection, you only lose control. Audio will continue as set. But I would strongly recommend that you use a dual band external router and use the 5Ghz band for wifi control for any live events. Dual band wifi routers (such as DLink) are very inexpensive and well worth the peace of mind that it will provide.

Contributor - Level 2

Thank you Paul for the response. I will do as you suggest. I am more at ease now!

Contributor - Level 2
Hi Paul... something else real quick... Does the xr18 have built in phantom power... Don't see any mention of it in the manual.
Highlighted

Contributor - Level 3

@TedJones wrote:

Yes, 48 Volt phantom power is available on all 16 mic channels. You can enable it for each channel using one of the control apps (X  Air Edit, Mixing Station, etc).

Contributor - Level 2
Got it... Thank you very much.

Volunteer Moderator

Hey @TedJones, what I would suggest is that you download the X-Air Edit app (found here) and play around with it. It will give you a good idea as to all the features available.

Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors