Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

EUROPORT PPA200 - adding a monitor speaker for busking

Hello to all,

I've just bought the PPA200 and want to add a monitor speaker to my set-up.

There is no dedicated output to add a monitor speaker, so I was wondering if a passive or active monitor might run from the headphone output. Would that work?

Thanks.

buskerer Contributor - Level 3 2020-03-14

2020-03-14

EUROPORT PPA200 - adding a monitor speaker for busking

Hello to all,

I've just bought the PPA200 and want to add a monitor speaker to my set-up.

There is no dedicated output to add a monitor speaker, so I was wondering if a passive or active monitor might run from the headphone output. Would that work?

Thanks.

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

Re: EUROPORT PPA200 - adding a monitor speaker for busking

@buskerer 

Hello Viv, welcome to the community.

You should be able to run an active monitor from the PPA200 phones output. Some active monitors have 3.5mm stereo Aux inputs so you could connect with a cable like this one. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Re: EUROPORT PPA200 - adding a monitor speaker for busking - update.

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@buskerer 

Hello Viv, welcome to the community.

You should be able to run an active monitor from the PPA200 phones output. Some active monitors have 3.5mm stereo Aux inputs so you could connect with a cable like this one. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Hello Rex,

Thank you for your swift answer. I thought that might work.

I've looked at a few active monitors and I'm limited on the amount of power consumption for busking.

I'm running all my gear from a lithium battery and only a 300watt inverter so a passive monitor would be the ideal solution to keep the power load down. There is a mono direct output and left/right RCA outputs on the PPA200 - would a passive monitor work from either of these do you think?

I've spent a small fortune (to me) on all the gear I already have otherwise I'd just go with an active monitor and buy a higher wattage output inverter and use the headphones output.

Again, thank you for your reply.

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@buskerer wrote:

Hello Rex,

Thank you for your swift answer. I thought that might work.

I've looked at a few active monitors and I'm limited on the amount of power consumption for busking.

I'm running all my gear from a lithium battery and only a 300watt inverter so a passive monitor would be the ideal solution to keep the power load down. There is a mono direct output and left/right RCA outputs on the PPA200 - would a passive monitor work from either of these do you think?

I've spent a small fortune (to me) on all the gear I already have otherwise I'd just go with an active monitor and buy a higher wattage output inverter and use the headphones output.

Again, thank you for your reply.

@buskerer 

I'm afraid that a passive monitor will not work from any of those outputs. You could always go for a monitor with its own built-in battery. Something like Samson Expedition Express?

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks Rex you've been very helpful.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Just as an update:

I have a Roland Cube Street I originally intended to use on it's own for busking, but it's sound quality and flexibility leaves a little to be desired in my opinion, which is why I decided on a pa system. The Cube as most probably know can be battery powered so I'll use it as a monitor.

In case anyone is interested I power my busking set-up with the following:

This most probably isn't the place to include a list of the gear I intend using for busking but if anyone is interested I will do so in an appropriate place.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3