Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Connect X32 to switch to control and still have internet

Ok guys I am new to the game here and I have a problem. So I am currently using the remote port of our x32 to a Netgear rounter to control the board from my computer and I keep losing my connection randomly during services. I have tried ajusting bands on the router and does not fix the problem. I have to be able to control the sound board from my desktop in the Live Stream studio and still have internet to stream. Is it possible to hook the ethernet cable from the x32 to a netgear switch and our internet to the switch and have the one ethernet cable running to the computer so i can do both at the same time. Only reason im asking is switches are cheaper than the router i would have to purchase. 

Thanks 

Zach9224 Contributor - Level 2 2019-09-05

2019-09-05

Connect X32 to switch to control and still have internet

Ok guys I am new to the game here and I have a problem. So I am currently using the remote port of our x32 to a Netgear rounter to control the board from my computer and I keep losing my connection randomly during services. I have tried ajusting bands on the router and does not fix the problem. I have to be able to control the sound board from my desktop in the Live Stream studio and still have internet to stream. Is it possible to hook the ethernet cable from the x32 to a netgear switch and our internet to the switch and have the one ethernet cable running to the computer so i can do both at the same time. Only reason im asking is switches are cheaper than the router i would have to purchase. 

Thanks 

• 0 Kudos
  • 9 Replies
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

Re: Connect X32 to switch to control and still have internet

I can't completely confirm at the moment but I'm pretty sure if you hard wire to the router with internet access you can keep access to it while simultaneously using wireless of the same pc to access the x32 using x32-Edit...without a switch....BUT you would need an additional wireless router at the x32 end..You dont need a super expesive one but dual band is best.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I have an XR18 not the 32 but  at home I have my internet, my XR18 and my desktop connected to a switch. I am able to control the Xair edit and use the internet for broadcasting to various sites on the same desktop. I have never had any issues. This will also work with my router if I want wired and wireless control and broadcast abilities. I hardwire the desktop, XR18, and use my tablets for more control options if needed.

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

Hi @Zach9224 ,

Welcome to the community.  It sounds like you want to get away from using wireless between your desktop and the X32.  Is that correct?  I'm assuming the Netgear router you are using is actually a router, and not just a WiFi access point.  Can you post the model of the router?   How far is your desktop from the X32?  Can you run an Ethernet cable from one to the other or at least close by? 

Most routers are actually three devices in one; a firewall, a switch, and a wireless access point. I'll sketch up something for you with recommended connections. I don't think you'll need to buy anything as long as that Netgear router can be utilized. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

@KenMitchell 

So I want to get away from the Wifi router all together cause it needs replaced and I want the hardline connectivity of a switch connection to reduce possible interference. 

Zach

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

@AlIrwin 

How do you have your cables run and what type of switch do you have. I want to get away from wireless use cause we don’t need it. 

Zach 

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@Zach9224 

Hi Zach, 

Because you want to connect to both an internal network (the X32) and the internet, you are going to need a router, not just a switch. 

Here's the diagram I sketched up.  

X32-simple.png

The parts inside the dashed box are the three components inside a typical consumer router.  For your case, you would just turn off the WiFi radio in the access point setup and utilize just the switch and firewall. 

Let me know what questions you have. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

It's a cheap switch I picked up at Microcenter for less than $10. I think it's made by Tenda. Internet wired in  from my main home router, cat5 to my Xair mixer and cat5 to my desktop. This way the desktop is connected to the internet and the mixer. 

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

Hi @AlIrwin ,

So your setup is pretty much like this:

X32-simple2.png

That switch is still behind a firewall since you are coming off of one of the internal switch ports on your router. 

@Zach9224 , Is your internet connection already behind a firewall/router or is it coming straight off the ISP modem?  If it's coming off a router then you can just use a switch as shown in the diagram above. 

Ken

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, that is my configuration.