Contributor - Level 1

Issues with Phantom Power on Xenyx 1204USB

Hello, I have a Xenyx 1204USB and I have been using Sennheiser e935 balanced and dynamic mics. When I have had to turn on phantom power for a guitar pedal, it causes the audio quality in the mics to go flat and lose depth, and also go unreponsive to any controls. I was under the understanding that phantom power would not affect balanced mics, but since the phantom power is global to the unit, I cannot operate without it causing the issue with the mics. Has anyone had this issue before?

remedyroom Contributor - Level 1 2019-10-16

2019-10-16

Issues with Phantom Power on Xenyx 1204USB

Hello, I have a Xenyx 1204USB and I have been using Sennheiser e935 balanced and dynamic mics. When I have had to turn on phantom power for a guitar pedal, it causes the audio quality in the mics to go flat and lose depth, and also go unreponsive to any controls. I was under the understanding that phantom power would not affect balanced mics, but since the phantom power is global to the unit, I cannot operate without it causing the issue with the mics. Has anyone had this issue before?

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Issues with Phantom Power on Xenyx 1204USB

@remedyroom wrote:

Hello, I have a Xenyx 1204USB and I have been using Sennheiser e935 balanced and dynamic mics. When I have had to turn on phantom power for a guitar pedal, it causes the audio quality in the mics to go flat and lose depth, and also go unreponsive to any controls. I was under the freejobalert gimp notepad++ understanding that phantom power would not affect balanced mics, but since the phantom power is global to the unit, I cannot operate without it causing the issue with the mics. Has anyone had this issue before?

Facing the same issue here too. Help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

Shane

Volunteer Moderator

Re: Issues with Phantom Power on Xenyx 1204USB

@BrianLowe and @remedyroom, check the cable wiring (pin 1 to pin 1, etc.). Phantom is applied to pins 2 and 3 and referenced to ground (see here). If wiring is not correct, it could cause issues.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!