KellyPeterson Contributor - Level 3 2019-10-28

2019-10-28

MR 18 aux outs. How to get sound in both sides of headphone

How do  I get sound both sides of my headphones when I come out of the aux outs.  I am only getting one side.  I know that to get stereo you pair 2 of the channels together.  But for a mono mix how do you get both sides..  I am using an xlr to 1/4 trs and am only getting one side

• 0 Kudos
  • 15 Replies
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 1

Re: Update Re: MR 18 aux outs. How to get sound in both sides of headphone

@KellyPeterson Glad it worked, however I do agree with Rex and also own several P2's. These are great units. Can't beat the price and ease of use as well as the great sound with plenty of power. I also have several dual female to single male XLR cables (specific wiring required) so they can be used on the stereo switch side of the P2 with linked buses if wanted. A plain xlr ihowever is all you need for simple full mono headphone operation. $32 at Sweetwater.

Thanks for the Accepted Solutions and Kudos! Always appreciated IF duly earned.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Update Re: MR 18 aux outs. How to get sound in both sides of headphone

Yes.  I am going to definitely pickup some.  the dual female to single female as well   thanks !

Kelly Peterson
Highlighted
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Re: MR 18 aux outs. How to get sound in both sides of headphone

@GaryHiggins wrote:

I think your issue is the trs part, that's wired for stereo but being supplied with only half the signal, the output of the aux is mono. To get mono you will likely need to short the left and right sides of the trs end together, tip to ring or pin 2 to 3

Such a hack to drive headphones directly from an AUX-out is not recommended. The line-output-circuits are not designed for that kind of load, but meant to feed into a higher-impedance line input. A single or multi-channel headphone-amp (or amp for wired in-ears) with L/R/mono inputs is what you need. It will provide audio to both ears even when fed a mono signal.

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 1

Just to be clear I was not 'recommending' it just suggesting the reason the OP was only hearing from one side of the headphones as wired in the situation described. I am a big fan of the P2 and similar devices and DID recommend those in the thread.

Thanks for the Accepted Solutions and Kudos! Always appreciated IF duly earned.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks everyone.  I did get a P2 and it is great.  Love it.  Thanks everyone !

Kelly Peterson
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@KellyPeterson wrote:

Thanks everyone.  I did get a P2 and it is great.  Love it.  Thanks everyone !

@KellyPeterson 

I'm glad to hear you like the P2, Kelly. Please mark your thread as solved to help others who may have similar questions.