Contributor - Level 1

Setting up XR18 to work with Cubase Pro 10

Hi guys,

Can anyone help me with setting up an XR18 with Cubase Pro 10. There's absolutely nothing in the manual about configuring a DAW. Cubase isn't at all helpful, it's offering 18 outputs, when there are only 6 Aux outputs on the front of the unit. 

I've currently set up all inputs & ouputs in Audio Connections. I've added a stereo audio track & dropped an audio file onto it, which is now playing. I'm looking in the X-Air Edit app meter window & can see audio registering in USB Returns 1&2, but no actual output registering on the main output. What's that all about? USB return??? I've tried routing USB Return 1&2 to 17&18, but still nothing coming out the main output. Does it all really have to be this hard??? I've never seen anything so complicated & quite frankly I'm getting a massive headache just trying to simply get Cubase to work with a USB audio interface. I've never had this much hassle with any other audio interface, why does the XR18 have to be this hard???

Sadly, this isn't all I need to do with the XR18 & I'm getting really put off from using this unit. Why make the XR18 compatible with DAW use but not provide any kind of resources or support to help people get it all set up???

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

RooMcKeller Contributor - Level 1 2019-08-14

2019-08-14

Setting up XR18 to work with Cubase Pro 10

Hi guys,

Can anyone help me with setting up an XR18 with Cubase Pro 10. There's absolutely nothing in the manual about configuring a DAW. Cubase isn't at all helpful, it's offering 18 outputs, when there are only 6 Aux outputs on the front of the unit. 

I've currently set up all inputs & ouputs in Audio Connections. I've added a stereo audio track & dropped an audio file onto it, which is now playing. I'm looking in the X-Air Edit app meter window & can see audio registering in USB Returns 1&2, but no actual output registering on the main output. What's that all about? USB return??? I've tried routing USB Return 1&2 to 17&18, but still nothing coming out the main output. Does it all really have to be this hard??? I've never seen anything so complicated & quite frankly I'm getting a massive headache just trying to simply get Cubase to work with a USB audio interface. I've never had this much hassle with any other audio interface, why does the XR18 have to be this hard???

Sadly, this isn't all I need to do with the XR18 & I'm getting really put off from using this unit. Why make the XR18 compatible with DAW use but not provide any kind of resources or support to help people get it all set up???

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Setting up XR18 to work with Cubase Pro 10

Hi Andrew @RooMcKeller ,

I think you have to figure in that the XR18 is not only an audio interface. It is an 18 channel digital mixer with the added capability of an 18 channel audio interface.

So from that point of view, everything that gets sent from your DAW is received by the XR18 as a possible input source. You can (and do) see the incoming signal in the meter section of the XR18. 

So to get usb input to a channel, you first have to go to the routing section of the XR18 to route the incoming usb signal to a channel. USB1<—>CH1, USB2 <—>CH2, ... is the default routing. Then you have to select the channel receiving the USB signal and  open the input section. Here you can select mic or usb as a source. As long as mic is selected, the XR18 will get its signal from the physical inputs. When you select usb as a source, the signal in the channel comes from your DAW. Now you can mix all channels as regular.

So your DAW output has nothing to do with the XR18 physical outputs.

DAW output -> select which usb channel to send to.

XR18 routing -> which usb channel gets routed to which XR18 channel

XR18 channel input -> select usb or physical input

Use XR18 to mix as required.

I hope this helps a bit. The capabilities of this little box are enorm. But each capability adds to the complexity.

Cheers 

Ulf

Behringer XR18, X Air iPad Air2, X-Air-Edit PC Windows 7, X Air Android
Tags (2)
Regular Contributor - Level 1

Re: Setting up XR18 to work with Cubase Pro 10

Ulf is spot on. I can see a bit of time has elapsed so I hope you're not disheartened. This little box is just as amazing as any digital mixer.

I'll try summarizing another way if it helps...

When recording live the XR18 App controls where it will send signals

Your DAW decides how to receive them.

Your DAW also decides where to return a signal.

In turn the XR18 can choose where those signals go.

(There are some handy presets in the IN/OUT, USB Returns routing page)

Your initial post seems to describe your DAW as not being setup quite right. Sending a USB signal on 1/2 is a default setting for PC's. Use your DAW to send it somewhere else to make sure you can.

Additionally your post highlights a Main Output issue. On the CHANNEL tab is the page of where you can send signals. Gate, EQ, Comp, Aux Bus, Effects... and finally LR Main Out, Panning & DCA groups. That LR Main Stereo button needs to be activated. (and for an idiot check have a look at the Main Fader mute button and check cables)

The default settings of the mixer are set for a plug and play experience, but are for Live Mixing. Simply selecting a channel's input as USB should immediately play a source from a PC through to the Main Stereo Outs.

Keep playing with it. You'll find ways that will work well for you.