Contributor - Level 1

StageConnect

Refering to the Behringer Wing:
Anyone out here who could explain to me how the Stage Connet Works with just a normal XLR Cable with 32 Channels Bidirectional? 

ThorbenK13 Contributor - Level 1 2019-11-19

2019-11-19

StageConnect

Refering to the Behringer Wing:
Anyone out here who could explain to me how the Stage Connet Works with just a normal XLR Cable with 32 Channels Bidirectional? 

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Highlighted
Rising Star - Level 3

Re: StageConnect

Hi Thorben ( @ThorbenK13 ), 

Welcome to the community.  I haven't seen any details but I suspect it works in a similar fashion to the way the cable companies are able to send digital channels down and also support cable modems on the same coax.  Digital data can be sent through the same wire (or in this case pair of wires) using multiple carrier frequencies. Since XLR cables aren't really digital communications cables, I suspect the distance will be limited somewhat.  The first I heard of it was on the Hub4. 

EDIT: BTW, are you sure it's bidirectional?  The description seems a little vague. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 3

From what I've heard it's 32 channels down an XLR cable.  25m range for a regular cable, 50m if you use a DMX cable.  You can choose 32 all in one direction, 16x16, 30 down 2 up etc, but it's limited to 32 (presumably at 48k.)  I'd assume one conductor for audio, another for ground, another for sync, OOBD etc.

The idea would then be a breakout box to analogue (or another digital standard, eg ultranet.)  One use case would be to go from the console with a single cable to a rack with a breakout box to break it out to analogue, and the rack being full of IEM TXs.  Another one would be a rack of wireless receivers, a breakin box, then a single cable back to the console.

Regular Contributor - Level 1

In the Sweetwater video Mitch says it's 32 bidirectional channels. But it's not 32x32 I/O. It's 32 channels that go in one direction, either/or. It sounds confusing, but he mentioned examples like 30 in + 2 out. He also mentioned that other manufacturers would be producing compatible products for this standard. So it sounds like it's not very useful right at the moment, but will be in the future.
Classic Rock, Done Right! - Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan 湖口鄉新竹縣台灣
Contributor - Level 1

What i heared although ist, that you don't need a Powersupply because they are sending Power over the Same XLR Cable. I can't believe that so many Informations and Power are able to go through a Standart XLR Cable. And then how would a break Out Box enable Phantom Power if there are condensator Mics in the Inputs? Any Ideas? 

Contributor - Level 2

To enable phantom power you need to send a control signal (message) to the stage box. They stated, that you have 32Channel uncompressed 24bit 48khz audio with low latency, Power and Control Messages. This is not very complicated to implement: see POE for ethernet. One can modulate the Signal on top of the Power line (like powerline communication for home use - HomePlug with many GBit/s). So you can deliver Power and Signal. One would choose digital Signal modulation instead of trying to send all 32Channel analog. If you are sending digital serial data it is no problem to embedd some signaling data for Stagebox recognition and configuration (signals to output, Gain, Phantom,....)