Top Solution Authors
Contributor - Level 2

Stereo channels to AUX for monitoring

I have a monitoring question with my XR18. My goal is to set up at least one monitor output to mirror the mains. Using other resources, I discovered that one way to do this (using AUX1 as an example) was to set every channel's send to AUX1 as post-fader. Then, on AUX1, set all channel levels to unity and adjust the overall monitor level with the AUX1 master fader. This works pretty well.

However, I have several stereo tracks that are linked and I'm not quite sure how those get mixed down on AUX1 since it is mono. So my question is, when stereo channels are summed-to-mono on the aux bus does their overall perceived level change?

On the FOH side, I have the stereo channels hard-panned L/R appropriately.

Thanks in advance...

Tags (3)
RobertRothe Contributor - Level 2 2019-08-17

2019-08-17

Stereo channels to AUX for monitoring

I have a monitoring question with my XR18. My goal is to set up at least one monitor output to mirror the mains. Using other resources, I discovered that one way to do this (using AUX1 as an example) was to set every channel's send to AUX1 as post-fader. Then, on AUX1, set all channel levels to unity and adjust the overall monitor level with the AUX1 master fader. This works pretty well.

However, I have several stereo tracks that are linked and I'm not quite sure how those get mixed down on AUX1 since it is mono. So my question is, when stereo channels are summed-to-mono on the aux bus does their overall perceived level change?

On the FOH side, I have the stereo channels hard-panned L/R appropriately.

Thanks in advance...

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Stereo channels to AUX for monitoring

@RobertRothe wrote:

@RexBeckett- thank you very much.  The 3db adjustment was the guidance I was looking for and makes complete sense.

Can you elaborate a bit on the subgroup suggestion?  Even if I used a subgroup, wouldn't I still have the issue that the stereo channels would be "over-represented" on the subgroup?  I do not fully understand subgroups on the XR18, so I'm a bit confused.

@RobertRothe 

Using a subgroup can be a shortcut to setting a post-fader signal tap with a send level of 0dB. If done with the Apply changes to all channels option on, it is a quick way to get a copy of the main mix on a bus. As you point out, it would not allow you to reduce the send level for stereo channels but you can use normal post-fader sends for those.

Other than being a little quicker to set up, the Sub Group doesn't buy you anything over a Post Fader send at 0dB.

@RobertRothe 

Hi Robert, when you send a stereo channel to a mono bus, the two sides are summed. This results in a similar level to that if the two sides were reproduced separately. The combined level will be louder than one side alone, though. You could always reduce the send level by 3dB to compensate for this.

BTW: If you want a copy of the main mix, you could use a Sub Group signal tap for the sends. This is equivalent to a Post Fader send at 0dB.

Contributor - Level 2

@RexBeckett- thank you very much.  The 3db adjustment was the guidance I was looking for and makes complete sense.

Can you elaborate a bit on the subgroup suggestion?  Even if I used a subgroup, wouldn't I still have the issue that the stereo channels would be "over-represented" on the subgroup?  I do not fully understand subgroups on the XR18, so I'm a bit confused.

Highlighted

@RobertRothe wrote:

@RobertRothe 

Using a subgroup can be a shortcut to setting a post-fader signal tap with a send level of 0dB. If done with the Apply changes to all channels option on, it is a quick way to get a copy of the main mix on a bus. As you point out, it would not allow you to reduce the send level for stereo channels but you can use normal post-fader sends for those.

Other than being a little quicker to set up, the Sub Group doesn't buy you anything over a Post Fader send at 0dB.