Contributor - Level 1

Using two XR18 on the same scene

Hi,

We just bought and tried an XR18 for a concert with our big band.

We need to mixe more than 18 channels, so we plan to buy another XR18.

We use 4 buses output for the stage and the main output for the audience.

How can we use both XR18? Can we connect LR output from the first XR18 on AUX input (17-18) on the main XR18 (which sends outputs to power amps), and the first XR18 buses 1-4 on 4 inputs of the main XR18?

Will it be possible to use two instances of the XAIR software (windows 10)?

Thank you for your help!

Thomas

tomacigale Contributor - Level 1 2020-01-14

2020-01-14

Using two XR18 on the same scene

Hi,

We just bought and tried an XR18 for a concert with our big band.

We need to mixe more than 18 channels, so we plan to buy another XR18.

We use 4 buses output for the stage and the main output for the audience.

How can we use both XR18? Can we connect LR output from the first XR18 on AUX input (17-18) on the main XR18 (which sends outputs to power amps), and the first XR18 buses 1-4 on 4 inputs of the main XR18?

Will it be possible to use two instances of the XAIR software (windows 10)?

Thank you for your help!

Thomas

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Using two XR18 on the same scene

Hi Thomas @tomacigale 

Welcome to the forum. You are going to run into a number of routing snafu's trying to get 2 XR18 to work the way you want. I would strongly suggest you return the XR18 and get an X32 Rack. It has 16 mic inputs and 6 Aux inputs (total of 22). If you need more, you can get an SD8 or SD16 stagebox to add more inputs and outputs. 

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Rock Star - Level 2

@tomacigale 

I second what @Paul_Vannatto said.  I'm speaking from experience and I can tell you it is not fun nor easy to do.  I did one theatrical show with 2 XR18s and the only reason I was able to get it to work was because I had all the talent mics on one mixer and the instrument mics and sound effects on the other.   It was absolutely nerve racking.   We replaced that setup with an X32 Rack and an SD16 the following season. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 1

Ok, thank you!