Re: What is the difference: Stereo FX 1-4 linked returns and the FX 1-4 Bus Master in X32 Edit 3.2?
Contributor - Level 2

What is the difference: Stereo FX 1-4 linked returns and the FX 1-4 Bus Master in X32 Edit 3.2?

I am trying to understand the difference between the FX 1-4 stereo return faders and the FX 1-4 faders as seen in the Aux/FX tab of X32 Edit 3.2. 

I see that when in the Master bus mode, they are all up to unity and have mutes.  Click on one of the bus' and the FX 1-4 stereo are all down and have On/Off buttons, but the FX 1-4 are at Unity.  Click on an FX bus and it's the same.

I get the Sends for a channel sending to the FX unit.  Thank's for the help.

DanielBecker Contributor - Level 2 2019-08-07

2019-08-07

What is the difference: Stereo FX 1-4 linked returns and the FX 1-4 Bus Master in X32 Edit 3.2?

I am trying to understand the difference between the FX 1-4 stereo return faders and the FX 1-4 faders as seen in the Aux/FX tab of X32 Edit 3.2. 

I see that when in the Master bus mode, they are all up to unity and have mutes.  Click on one of the bus' and the FX 1-4 stereo are all down and have On/Off buttons, but the FX 1-4 are at Unity.  Click on an FX bus and it's the same.

I get the Sends for a channel sending to the FX unit.  Thank's for the help.

• 0 Kudos
  • 8 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: What is the difference: Stereo FX 1-4 linked returns and the FX 1-4 Bus Master in X32 Edit 3.2?

@DanielBecker wrote:

The FX 1-4 are the mixbuses that feed the first 4 FX slots (by default). These are the dry signals in a side chain FX setup. The FX stereo returns (FX1L, FX1R, etc.) are the FX stereo returns (wet signal) from the FX engine. Both have to be up and enabled/unmuted in order to have the resulting FX in the main mix.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Super Contributor - Level 2

@DanielBecker 

The Fx1L, Fx1R, Fx2L .. Fx4R faders are the returns from the FX processors in slots FX1 to FX4. The rightmost faders Fx1 .. Fx4 (or Bus 13 ..Bus 16) are the Master faders for the sends to the slots.

When you select a Bus, the faders show channel sends to that Bus (aka Sends on Faders). In this view you would not normally want any of the FX Return faders raised. If an FX slot is sent its own return, unpleasant digital feedback can occur. Even though the FX Master faders are shown on the Aux/FX layer in Sends-on-Fader mode, they are not actually sends to the selected Bus. 

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you Paul and Rex.

To make sure I have this correct: When I send a signal from a channel to the FX, I'm actually sending it to the Bus 13 - 16 that goes to the FX engine but there is a Fader before the FX. So, the Master fader controls the signal of the combined channels sent to that FX. This is as an analog board then. 

I get side chaining as it relates (for example) to triggering a gate from another channel, but did not understand it as an FX routing.  Is it refered to as side chain because the bus can be used as a MIx Bus that also to send off to the FX?

I can thus, send the Bus 13 - 16 somewhere else via routing, say out one of the board XLR outputs and at the same time it going to the FX? The signal to both being controlled by the Master.

I understand you don't want the Returns up when in Sends on Fader in the FX.  Putting the Returns up in a Mix Bus 1 - 12 would send what ever was sent to that FX to that Mix Bus.  This would not be the same as having the FX acting on the Mix Bus as when one wants to have reverb/delay in a monitor mix.  For that I would Insert an FX on the Mix Bus?

Thank you again.

@DanielBecker wrote:

Thank you Paul and Rex.

To make sure I have this correct: When I send a signal from a channel to the FX, I'm actually sending it to the Bus 13 - 16 that goes to the FX engine but there is a Fader before the FX. So, the Master fader controls the signal of the combined channels sent to that FX. This is as an analog board then. 

Yes that is correct.

I get side chaining as it relates (for example) to triggering a gate from another channel, but did not understand it as an FX routing.  Is it revered to as side chain because the bus can be used as a MIx Bus that also to send off to the FX?

It is called side-chained because it operates in parallel to the dry signal from the channel to the mix bus. It is also sometimes called send/return FX to distinguish it from an inserted FX - which does not operate in parallel to the dry feed but replaces it.

I can thus, send the Bus 13 - 16 somewhere else via routing, say out one of the board XLR outputs and at the same time it going to the FX? The signal to both being controlled by the Master.

Yes you can route the FX Send Buses (13-16) to outputs or Matrix Buses if required.

I understand you don't want the Returns up when in Sends on Fader in the FX.  Putting the Returns up in a Mix Bus 1 - 12 would send what ever was sent to that FX to that Mix Bus.  This would not be the same as having the FX acting on the Mix Bus as when one wants to have reverb/delay in a monitor mix.  For that I would Insert an FX on the Mix Bus?

You can add FX Returns to monitor mixes in the same way as you would for the Main mix. The catch is that FX Sends are normally post-fader so the FX level will depend on the channel's fader while the dry monitor signal is normally pre-fader. Most reverb/delay FX processors are not suitable for use as inserts as they do not have a Mix control to set the wet/dry balance. The exception is Modulation Delay. Inserted effects are normally used where the processed signal replaces the original. e.g. De-Esser, EQ, Pitch Shift...

@DanielBecker 

Contributor - Level 2

Ok, so going further.

I click on the FX1 stereo return.  I go to the Sends tab and see that I can send to any of the Mix buses plus the FX bus.  I realize I would not want to send to the FX bus.  I would get that loop thing going.

If I send to a mix bus, am I only sending 1 side of the stereo return to the bus?  Is there really a difference in that the stuff going into the FX did not go in stereo, can't be panned going in so I assume it does not matter?

@DanielBecker wrote:

Ok, so going further.

I click on the FX1 stereo return.  I go to the Sends tab and see that I can send to any of the Mix buses plus the FX bus.  I realize I would not want to send to the FX bus.  I would get that loop thing going.

If I send to a mix bus, am I only sending 1 side of the stereo return to the bus?  Is there really a difference in that the stuff going into the FX did not go in stereo, can't be panned going in so I assume it does not matter?

@DanielBecker 

If you send a stereo FX Return (or a stereo linked pair of channels) to a single (mono) mixbus, the two sides are summed.

When you send a stereo FX Return (or stereo channels) to a linked pair of mixbuses, each side is sent to the corresponding bus according to the pan control on the Sends tab.

When you send a mono channel to a linked pair of mixbuses, the pan control on the Sends tap determines the feed to each side of the stereo buses.

FX Sends are always mono but FX Returns are stereo. Some of the FX processors create a very noticeable stereo image - particularly time-based ones (delay, reverb, chorus, etc).

Contributor - Level 2

Ok.  Thank you again Rex.  I think I got it all now.

@DanielBecker wrote:

Ok.  Thank you again Rex.  I think I got it all now.

@DanielBecker 

Happy to help. Have fun learning all the amazing things that the X32 can do. Shout when you have more questions.