Contributor - Level 2

X32 + X32 rack + Ultranet

Hello everyone, 

I have sort of a complicated setup (I think) and was hoping I'm missing a solution. Our upcoming theater show has a full size X32 console as FOH, my personal X32 Rack as interface and stageblock on one side of the stage and an S16 as stageblock on the other side of the stage. The S16 goes to my X32 rack via AES A and is forwarded to FOH (via AES B) from there.

We have basically everything working, EXCEPT I have an ultranet switch in my X32 Rack case and we'd like to run a couple of PM16s from there - which works but we were thinking we could let the FOH set it all up so we could benefit from his bussing, EQ, fading in and out of bg music/samples/whatever, and I can't figure out how to do that. It seems that I have to make all ultranet assignments on my X32. I know about the "trick" where AES channels 33 to 48 are ultranet channels but I think I'd have to assign them to channels on my X32 and I don't have those channels left (using 8 inputs, 8 USB channels and 16 from the S16). Am I correct in thinking that there is no way to simply "forward" the main console's ultranet channels to my ultranet out port?

Sanderxpander Contributor - Level 2 2019-11-08

2019-11-08

X32 + X32 rack + Ultranet

Hello everyone, 

I have sort of a complicated setup (I think) and was hoping I'm missing a solution. Our upcoming theater show has a full size X32 console as FOH, my personal X32 Rack as interface and stageblock on one side of the stage and an S16 as stageblock on the other side of the stage. The S16 goes to my X32 rack via AES A and is forwarded to FOH (via AES B) from there.

We have basically everything working, EXCEPT I have an ultranet switch in my X32 Rack case and we'd like to run a couple of PM16s from there - which works but we were thinking we could let the FOH set it all up so we could benefit from his bussing, EQ, fading in and out of bg music/samples/whatever, and I can't figure out how to do that. It seems that I have to make all ultranet assignments on my X32. I know about the "trick" where AES channels 33 to 48 are ultranet channels but I think I'd have to assign them to channels on my X32 and I don't have those channels left (using 8 inputs, 8 USB channels and 16 from the S16). Am I correct in thinking that there is no way to simply "forward" the main console's ultranet channels to my ultranet out port?

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: X32 + X32 rack + Ultranet

@Sanderxpander 

Hello Sander, welcome to the forum.

You can forward any channels coming in from the FOH on AES50 directly out to the S16 on the other AES50 port without burning channels. You just make the assignments on the Routing -> AES50 A/B tab. So you can send the required mixes from the FOH on AES50-B 33-48 and just pass them straight through to AES50-A 33-48.

X32 UNR.PNG

Does that answer your question? 

Contributor - Level 2

Almost, haha. This may be the best we can do. The thing is I have the ultranet distribution box in the X32 rack case because I need it for gigs in between, so I'd like to leave it there it's basically permanently plugged in.

So ideally I'd like to have everything go through its ultranet port but if that can't be done, yours is a good solution! 

Super Contributor - Level 2

@Sanderxpander wrote:

Almost, haha. This may be the best we can do. The thing is I have the ultranet distribution box in the X32 rack case because I need it for gigs in between, so I'd like to leave it there it's basically permanently plugged in.

So ideally I'd like to have everything go through its ultranet port but if that can't be done, yours is a good solution! 

@Sanderxpander 

I see your point but it would only take an extra Cat5 cable and separate scenes for the different types of gig...

Or - get a spare P-16D for the larger gigs and run it from the S16 Ultranet output.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Yup! I was surprised that there is just no way to "slave" the Ultranet to the main console on the X32 and hoped there was something I missed. But since we do have an S16 on stage as well, that's probably what we'll do. 

Volunteer Moderator

@Sanderxpander wrote:

Yup! I was surprised that there is just no way to "slave" the Ultranet to the main console on the X32  

There is a way. But it requires using 16 inputs (eg. chan 17-32) to do it. Years ago, we had the same issue with the XLR outputs in that the Routing, Out 1-16 was the only way to assign to these outputs. I wanted the X32 Rack to emulate an S16 and convinced them to separate that screen from the physical outputs. The Routing, XLR Out screen is the results. At the same time I asked if they could do the same with the Ultranet. So far it hasn't happened.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!