Top Solution Authors
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

X32 metering - why are meters in channel order on in/out tab?

I really like the comprehensive metering available on the X32, but one thing puzzles me.  Why, when you're in the IN/OUT tab, are the meters in channel order?  I wish they were in jack order.  If I need channel order, I can always use the channel tab. Maybe I'm missing something.  Is there an option to change to jack order?

Things should be as simple as possible. But no simpler.
HeartLander Contributor - Level 2 2020-02-27

2020-02-27

X32 metering - why are meters in channel order on in/out tab?

I really like the comprehensive metering available on the X32, but one thing puzzles me.  Why, when you're in the IN/OUT tab, are the meters in channel order?  I wish they were in jack order.  If I need channel order, I can always use the channel tab. Maybe I'm missing something.  Is there an option to change to jack order?

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Re: X32 metering - why are meters in channel order on in/out tab?

@HeartLander wrote:

Why, when you're in the IN/OUT tab, are the meters in channel order?  

There is no IN/OUT tab on the console, in X32-Edit or in Mixing Station. In the Meters screen, it lists them in channel order. That's the way it has always been. Even in the new Wing console, that is the order they are listed.

I wish they were in jack order.  If I need channel order, I can always use the channel tab. Maybe I'm missing something.  Is there an option to change to jack order?

No, in all the years since the initial release (2012) of the X32, no one has asked for this order - and to be honest, I don't see the point of it.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

@HeartLander wrote:

Why, when you're in the IN/OUT tab, are the meters in channel order?  

There is no IN/OUT tab on the console, in X32-Edit or in Mixing Station. In the Meters screen, it lists them in channel order. That's the way it has always been. Even in the new Wing console, that is the order they are listed.

I wish they were in jack order.  If I need channel order, I can always use the channel tab. Maybe I'm missing something.  Is there an option to change to jack order?

No, in all the years since the initial release (2012) of the X32, no one has asked for this order - and to be honest, I don't see the point of it.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Paul, that explains it. 

My situation was needing to know which XLR input was connected to a particular source during installation of an X32.  It happened to be a keyboard, so I started a demo song, looked at the I/O metering, and could see a signal on 23.  I assumed that was XLR Input 23, but later found it was channel 23.  

Now that you've explained it, I'll know in a similar situation to then look at the strip and see how it's patched. 

My personal preference, and maybe I'm alone in this, is that the Channel view be in Channel order, and the I/O view be in I/O order.  Just my two bits. 
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I'm a newbie to musictribe, so I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate.  Thought I had already sent it.  Maybe it went to Paul only (I used <at>Paul_Vannato).  

A clarification.  On the console (X32 running latest firmware), the meters section includes four tabs: channel, mix-bus, aux/fx, and in/out.  When I said "channel view", I meant what you see on the channel tab. When I said "in/out view", I meant what you see on the in/out tab. 

Volunteer Moderator

@HeartLander wrote:

I'm a newbie to musictribe, so I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate.  Thought I had already sent it.  Maybe it went to Paul only (I used <at>Paul_Vannato).   

I didn't get it Kenneth (name is missing a "t") and it didn't go to the spam folder (I checked).

When I said "channel view", I meant what you see on the channel tab. When I said "in/out view", I meant what you see on the in/out tab. 

Yes I see that now. But what you are asking for will not fit in that screen on the top line (inputs), if all physical inputs are included. Local 1-32 + Aux In + AES50 A + AES50 B + Card In = 166 total physical inputs. If you add to that the 32 User Inputs would only complicate it further.