Re: XR 18 Block Diagram vs the XEdit layout regarding the order of EQ, Comp, Insert in the Main bus
Contributor - Level 2

XR 18 Block Diagram vs the XEdit layout regarding the order of EQ, Comp, Insert in the Main bus

The question came up on a Facebook page for the XR series as to where the insert point is for the Mains on the XR. The block diagram at the Wike shows the flow to be Compressor, Insert, Eq. This seems odd to have the Compressor pre EQ in the flow.

However, in the XAir Edit software, the layout under the Channel Tab for the Mains shows the EQ before the Compressor. The tabs across the top puts the EQ before the Compressor (reading left to right). This would make sense.

So, which is correct? The block diagram with the compressor before the EQ or the software suggesting the Eq is before the Compressor?

Or am I reading the block diagram incorrectly? Though the channels show the EQ before the Comp in the block diagram.

DanielBecker Contributor - Level 2 2019-08-05

2019-08-05

XR 18 Block Diagram vs the XEdit layout regarding the order of EQ, Comp, Insert in the Main bus

The question came up on a Facebook page for the XR series as to where the insert point is for the Mains on the XR. The block diagram at the Wike shows the flow to be Compressor, Insert, Eq. This seems odd to have the Compressor pre EQ in the flow.

However, in the XAir Edit software, the layout under the Channel Tab for the Mains shows the EQ before the Compressor. The tabs across the top puts the EQ before the Compressor (reading left to right). This would make sense.

So, which is correct? The block diagram with the compressor before the EQ or the software suggesting the Eq is before the Compressor?

Or am I reading the block diagram incorrectly? Though the channels show the EQ before the Comp in the block diagram.

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: XR 18 Block Diagram vs the XEdit layout regarding the order of EQ, Comp, Insert in the Main bus

@DanielBecker 

Hi Daniel, the block diagram here shows that, in the channels, the flow is: Gate, Insert, EQ, Compressor. In the Main and Aux buses, the flow is different: Compressor, Insert, EQ. This seems to be correct in practice.

Contributor - Level 2

So, in the mains, it is normal to compress before EQ'ing?  Curious as to why that would be the proper way.  Just asking as I learn more.

The insert issue was regarding the Combinator.  I would think one would not use the main compressor if you are inserting the Combinator?

@DanielBecker wrote:

So, in the mains, it is normal to compress before EQ'ing?  Curious as to why that would be the proper way.  Just asking as I learn more.

The insert issue was regarding the Combinator.  I would think one would not use the main compressor if you are inserting the Combinator?

@DanielBecker 

I wouldn't say it was normal to compress the buses before EQ'ing but that is how the XAir mixers are arranged. In the X32 mixers, the insert point can be switched pre or post EQ.

If inserting the Combinator FX processor into the Main mix, the built-in compressor would not normally be used.

Contributor - Level 2

Yes, I have the X32 core and have been playing with it's software.  I noticed you can switch the order of EQ/Comp/Insert.

Thank you for the help.  It is odd for the XR to have the Main Comp before the EQ but....

Maybe someone else has an oppinion.  Hopefully from Behringer them self to explain why the Comp is before the EQ on the XR.

@DanielBecker 

It is odd for the XR to have the Main Comp before the EQ but....

I haven't found it to be a problem in practice. EQ on Aux and Main buses is generally used to tailor the overall response to suit the environment and speaker system. In this case, it makes more sense to EQ the signal after the dynamics have been applied. There may be other explanations but they will not change how it has been implemented.

Why is it a problem for you?

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Rex,  It's not a problem.  Just want to understand the flow of it all.  And as noted, the question had come up on a facebook forum as to the order and tap points.  I answered it with the info from the block diagram, but notice the order for the Mains was different than for a channel.

So, came here to get clarification.  I much appreciate your help.