Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

1 year and only 1 small Android update.

Any news on a new Android version ?

Android users have been quietly and patiently waiting... any ounce of info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
RobJohnson Contributor - Level 2 2015-12-29

2015-12-29

1 year and only 1 small Android update.

Any news on a new Android version ?

Android users have been quietly and patiently waiting... any ounce of info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• 0 Kudos
  • 16 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: 1 year and only 1 small Android update.

The next version is "rapidly approaching" for at least two months now.
This being said, the XR18 price has dropped at least by 200 Euros since I bought mine while I as an early adopter have *never* up to now been able to fully use it via the Android app.

Does this make me a happy customer? Make a guess...
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Felix Homann;65871 wrote:
The next version is "rapidly approaching" for at least two months now.
This being said, the XR18 price has dropped at least by 200 Euros since I bought mine while I as an early adopter have *never* up to now been able to fully use it via the Android app.

Does this make me a happy customer? Make a guess...

Or iPad app...
Highlighted

The Android X Air app advertising is still making false claims:

The X AIR Android® App allows you to control *all* mixing, processing and effects functions of BEHRINGER's X AIR digital mixer series right from your Android® tablet or smartphone.

Source: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.behringer.android.control.app.xair

(Emphasis added by me.)

This just is not honest!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I'm certainly not happy about the lack of updates. I get told that moaning about that doesn't make them come any faster. My question is what will?
The lack of product software support makes me skeptical about future purchases.
I really like the hardware but access to mute groups and poor scene management are flaws that should have been fixed long ago.
Highlighted

For me, the major point in complaining here is to make potential new buyers aware of the issues I have and the way Behringer is dealing with it *before* they make a purchase decision they might regret.
Sure, it might not help to make a release faster. But who cares, Behringer doesn't help me using my XR18 the way I intended to and the way they advertised it either.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Behringer would be better off leaving the developer to sell the app directly to X-Air users. This app is derived from MixingStation for X32/M32 which must be one of the best maintained remote-apps in the industry. There is no reason why the X-Air app should be any different. The absence of updates and bugfixes indicate that the contractual relationship between Behringer and the developer is not working.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

I thought all the software for creating the app was going to be released in the public domain, I would have no problem paying for a new improved app, I am not suggesting that a free app should not be available on purchase of a x desk however.

But I want an app that in parts concentrates around the playback of interval and backing tracks from the usb on my desk, many of you guys won't, so I understand there could be a premium for the likes of me. The playback from the iOS app is useless, too small etc.

Kev
Contributor - Level 2

Kev Tyler;65907 wrote:
I thought all the software for creating the app was going to be released in the public domain, I would have no problem paying for a new improved app, I am not suggesting that a free app should not be available on purchase of a x desk however.

But I want an app that in parts concentrates around the playback of interval and backing tracks from the usb on my desk, many of you guys won't, so I understand there could be a premium for the likes of me. The playback from the iOS app is useless, too small etc.

Kev

Techincally since it is based on OSC, then releasing the OSC protocol information does allow someone to create their own app for control. Look at the third party apps that have already been created. You will probably either need to learn to create your own, or solicit someone who knows how to do it for you, maybe with a financial bribe...
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Welcome to the bottom of the barrel

If there is one thing I've learned from my experience over the last (almost) year of owning an XR18, it's that those of us who purchased X-Air products are at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to support from Behringer. I mean just look at threads like this for example. How many threads are out there seeking a response on future features or releases that just go unanswered by Behringer?

Let's face it, we bought the cheap consumer grade product as far as Behringer is concerned. Their focus is squarely on the X32 series since that is their current flagship anyway. I personally bought the XR18 not because of price specifically but rather for the simplicity. Sadly I seem to be paying for that choice, as many of us our, by being treated as second class by Behringer.

From the beginning I think we've all noticed how half baked this product was. Marketed feature sets remain incomplete (as pointed out above), the applications are not cohesive across platforms, and we occasionally get vague promises of exciting new releases that seem to take forever to show up if at all.

What's truly sad is that this platform has so much promise. We all see it and have very high hopes for it's true capabilities to be realized, however Behringer doesn't seem to be able to get out of their own way and deliver. There have been some truly valuable and innovative ideas posted on these forums that seem like logical (almost inevitable) next steps and are consistent with the capabilities of the device, yet we're not seeing them make it into the product.

I think what bothers me the most about all this is Behringer's deafening silence on all topics X-Air related. If they could provide us with an open avenue to get answers from the source regarding features, future enhancements, etc. I think we'd all feel much better. Instead we're left to guess what might come, make feature requests on a forum without any positive confirmation that they've even been heard let alone considered and ultimately rely on each others' expertise developed through experience with the product and in some cases "unsupported" tinkering. Between the XR-18 and X-Touch Compact (and all the assorted accessories like non-audio cables, wireless router, etc) I've easily got $1500 buried in this product. Still not even the cost of an X32 Rack, but alarming that with such an investment I'm still not achieving the goals I had when purchasing it. The fact that the cost of these devices is falling worries me even more that either Behringer is abandoning what little focus they've had on this series or that a next generation is coming that will result in our gear becoming obsolete.

Ahh yes, the joys of early adoption.