Contributor - Level 2

ANDROID VS IPAD My 2¢

For whatever it's worth.

I've used the XR Air 18 for two gigs so far.

Getting ready to use it again for a gig this weekend. I bought a new AC router> I have all the lastest firmware udates and updates for IPAD and Android.

After messing with it for most of the day I have to say. The IPAD app is a big disappointment.

The androis connects better and smoother plus has more functionality.

Two weeks ago we did a gig and the club had it's own PA and sound Guy. Dude was running around with an android getting our levels and then doing a sound check.

I notice the little mixer on his android tablet and it looks familiar and I asked him ..... so he tells me it's the X 32 version!.

We talk about how much we love it and he says yeah he has the 18 at home as well.

Anyway .. my point is he was using an android with the 32 channel version.

I love apple products and my IPAD.

Just bummed.

I'll mix thorough a hard wired lap top this weekend and my android phone.

My conclsuion after messing with it all day today. The Ipad worked OK when I was on top of my new router or close to it. After 30 feet ... it started getting sticky and slow.

My android I was outside in my back yard probably 40 yards away from my bedroom through walls -- and still - ran smooth as silk.

The IPAD dropped out when I left the house.

As of right now... Android all the way when it comes to wireless on the Xair 18

I love the xair 18 -- don't get me wrong.

But I also love my IPAD

Its the 2nd version IPAD by the way Smiley Tongue
Mooch4056 Contributor - Level 2 2015-09-14

2015-09-14

ANDROID VS IPAD My 2¢

For whatever it's worth.

I've used the XR Air 18 for two gigs so far.

Getting ready to use it again for a gig this weekend. I bought a new AC router> I have all the lastest firmware udates and updates for IPAD and Android.

After messing with it for most of the day I have to say. The IPAD app is a big disappointment.

The androis connects better and smoother plus has more functionality.

Two weeks ago we did a gig and the club had it's own PA and sound Guy. Dude was running around with an android getting our levels and then doing a sound check.

I notice the little mixer on his android tablet and it looks familiar and I asked him ..... so he tells me it's the X 32 version!.

We talk about how much we love it and he says yeah he has the 18 at home as well.

Anyway .. my point is he was using an android with the 32 channel version.

I love apple products and my IPAD.

Just bummed.

I'll mix thorough a hard wired lap top this weekend and my android phone.

My conclsuion after messing with it all day today. The Ipad worked OK when I was on top of my new router or close to it. After 30 feet ... it started getting sticky and slow.

My android I was outside in my back yard probably 40 yards away from my bedroom through walls -- and still - ran smooth as silk.

The IPAD dropped out when I left the house.

As of right now... Android all the way when it comes to wireless on the Xair 18

I love the xair 18 -- don't get me wrong.

But I also love my IPAD

Its the 2nd version IPAD by the way Smiley Tongue

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: ANDROID VS IPAD My 2¢

An IPad 2? I have a 3 and don't love it as much anymore now that someone is actually embracing android apps (I now have 3 android devices that collectively cost less than my one iPad).
Volunteer Moderator

The ipad2 only have one antenna and can only do one mimo stream (aka. Siso). This means in reality poor realtime wifi due to no diversity system and not able to take advantage of a modern wifi-router that handles 2-8 mimo streams with multiple antennas/diversity.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Can you even still get MIMO wifi gear?

The iPads 2 antenna don't do MIMO, it's one for 2.4GHz and one for 5GHz. 5GHz has worse range than 2.4GHz and wifi is terrible at switching connections, so I'd expect the older iPad with only 2.4Ghz to have better range, as the new one will stick to 5GHz.
(Of course environmental factors may impact one more than the other, but meh.)

What android tablet are you using? It performing better than the iPad is more about hardware than software, so people with a different model might have a different result.
Contributor - Level 2

In my experience, and maybe because I have a big screen Android device, the hardware isn't going to push me in one direction or the other. As long as the interfaces are so different, that's what matters most to me. There are things I like about each one. For example, it kind of makes me crazy that there is no tap tempo on the iPad version of the 3 tap delay. Meanwhile, the Snd>Fader thing on Android is just awful.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

After using both the Mackie DL1608 and the XR18 with ipads and seeing most of the same issues on both units (massive lag and constant disconnects, even using a apple router with the Mackie) I've decided that they just don't seem to be cut out for this stuff, for whatever reason. So I've went laptop with X-Edit and Android Tabs and phones.
Contributor - Level 2

Ipad 2's are quite sluggish with the X18 . That's why I sold mine . I think to really use the X18 you would need a Ipad air or later