Contributor - Level 2

AUX Outputs - definitions?

Loving my X AIR X18R, but can't seem to find a 1-stop-source for info about the AUX Output send differences. Hoping someone here has a quick/simple explanation?

(and, I don't have my iPad in front of me right now; apologies for not listing things completely or in order)

What are the fundamental differences/nuances between:

Pre EQ
Pre EQ + Mute
Post EQ
Post EQ + Mute
Pre Fader
Pre Fader + Mute
Post Fader
Post Fader + Mute

I volunteer FOH at a very small venue (2 mains, 2 monitors, 1000-square feet, seats 55-people) and have been trying to find the best config for using Aux 1 and Aux 2 as my monitor/wedge feeds. We don't use IEM, and I typically only run a little Rich Hall Reverb via send/return on Effects 1.

I was practicing with the app a few weeks ago and *thought* Pre-Fader + Mute would be the way to go, but it didn't behave as I had expected... lots of feedback... Had a live show last night, and it went well, but my comfort level isn't as high as I'd like for it to be, yet. Smiley Happy

From my analog days, I used:
- PFL for Aux 1 to feed monitor
- Inserted a 31-band EQ between board Aux 1 and monitor amp
- EQ'd the monitors flat, then used channels to fine-tune for each performer
- I would adjust the monitor levels with Aux 1, and slider had no impact to Aux 1
- Mute on the board muted the channel, including Aux 1 and Main LR

I'm looking to do the same thing with the Behringer, and hope that I can.
SteveArs Contributor - Level 2 2016-05-16

2016-05-16

AUX Outputs - definitions?

Loving my X AIR X18R, but can't seem to find a 1-stop-source for info about the AUX Output send differences. Hoping someone here has a quick/simple explanation?

(and, I don't have my iPad in front of me right now; apologies for not listing things completely or in order)

What are the fundamental differences/nuances between:

Pre EQ
Pre EQ + Mute
Post EQ
Post EQ + Mute
Pre Fader
Pre Fader + Mute
Post Fader
Post Fader + Mute

I volunteer FOH at a very small venue (2 mains, 2 monitors, 1000-square feet, seats 55-people) and have been trying to find the best config for using Aux 1 and Aux 2 as my monitor/wedge feeds. We don't use IEM, and I typically only run a little Rich Hall Reverb via send/return on Effects 1.

I was practicing with the app a few weeks ago and *thought* Pre-Fader + Mute would be the way to go, but it didn't behave as I had expected... lots of feedback... Had a live show last night, and it went well, but my comfort level isn't as high as I'd like for it to be, yet. Smiley Happy

From my analog days, I used:
- PFL for Aux 1 to feed monitor
- Inserted a 31-band EQ between board Aux 1 and monitor amp
- EQ'd the monitors flat, then used channels to fine-tune for each performer
- I would adjust the monitor levels with Aux 1, and slider had no impact to Aux 1
- Mute on the board muted the channel, including Aux 1 and Main LR

I'm looking to do the same thing with the Behringer, and hope that I can.

• 0 Kudos
  • 10 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: AUX Outputs - definitions?

This are the tab points for thei output! This means where the AUX out connector sources it's signal from the bus main. I'd suggest to keep this post fader.

But you have to set the channel=>bus sends to post EQ do be pre compressor (very important) and pre fader. This is done on the channel sends screen.
Contributor - Level 2

When you say you want to do the same thing as the Behringer does that mean you only want to use the XR for monitors and another mixer for the house?

If its for FOH and monitors then I like to use the eq on the channel for the foh and use the EQs on the individual busses for the monitors. That way I can adjust the FOH without changing the monitors and vice versa.
Contributor - Level 2

If you are using the PC app click on utilities and Busses and the six busses with the faders will come up. You will see the eqs if you have them turned on for the busses and be able to make any adjustments you want.

if you are using the Android app there is a neat function called Sends On Faders which I like to use. Select the Bus you want to adjust and then click on the SOF button and move up any fader you want to add to that bus mix.

If you have the chance before a gig its also nice to ring out your monitors before the gig by watching the EQ for that monitor and have the RTA turned on and slowly bring up the gain until it starts to feedback. Watch on the RTA and see what frequency it is and bring the offending frequencies down in the eq.

I usually use the low cut on my monitor mixes and start cutting out anything under 200 hz. If the artists complain I will bring that down to 150hz. Its nice not having any low end rumble coming thru the monitors. I very rarely if ever get anyone to ask for more low end in the monitors.
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the replies, and to answer/clarify:

I'm using the XR18 for combined FOH & Monitor sends. Very small venue. And it's a semi-permanent install.

My primary question revolves around the fundamental differences between the various types of AUX send functions...

Analog
Analog + Mute
Input
Input + Mute
Pre Eq (is this PFL AND Pre Eq?)
Pre EQ + Mute
Etc, etc, etc

How do they differ in terms of behavior and PFL?
Contributor - Level 2

I may be wrong on this but I believe PFL stands for Pre Fader Listen and usually when you hit that button it sends the signal from that channel to the headphone jack?

I have all 6 aux busses set for pre fader post eq . That way any adjustments I make to the FOH using faders doesn't affect the monitors. Changes to the gain section will affect both the FOH and the monitors but the faders will have no affect on the monitors. Make sure you have the sends and returns faders for the busses set at a reasonable level.
Contributor - Level 2

This picture should so be a sticky :

http://behringerwiki.music-group.com/images/e/e0/X18_block_diagram.png

It should show you where each or the tap points are Smiley Happy
Contributor - Level 2

Barney Garrett;76420 wrote:
This picture should so be a sticky :

http://behringerwiki.music-group.com/images/e/e0/X18_block_diagram.png

It should show you where each or the tap points are Smiley Happy

THANKS!!! This is extremely helpful.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

To answer your question:

Analog -> the signal immediatelly out of the A/D converter
Analog + Mute -> same as Analog but mutes if you mute the channel
Input -> the signal after the Input section (including low cut filter) and before Gate section
Input + Mute -> same as Input but mutes if you mute the channel
Pre EQ -> the signal after Gate section and before EQ section
Pre EQ + Mute -> same as Pre EQ but mutes if you mute the channel
Post EQ -> the signal after EQ section and before Comp section
Post EQ + Mute -> same as Post EQ but mutes if you mute the channel
Pre Fader -> the signal after Comp section and before main fader
Pre Fader + Mute -> same as Pre Fader but mutes if you mute the channel
Post Fader -> the signal after main fader
Post Fader + Mute -> same as Post Fader but mutes if you mute the channel
"Music is the closest thing to magic that we have"
Contributor - Level 2

I wish we had the +M variations for bus send taps from the channels. Often I find myself needing to mute a channel in the FOH but still want it in the monitors - unless I'm misunderstanding, I assume the +M on the Aux Outs if coming from a bus refer to the bus mute not channel mutes? I've never checked.