Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Adjust Gain on M32-Edit

Dear Forum Members,

I have an issue where I cannot adjust the VOX (1-4) more than +18. via M32-Edit (off-line without M32R active or on line). I attached my scene below and hope that you could review and pin point what I have done wrong ? Besides that, any tips on improvements or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Ly
Tags (1)
LyTran Contributor - Level 2 2017-05-19

2017-05-19

Adjust Gain on M32-Edit

Dear Forum Members,

I have an issue where I cannot adjust the VOX (1-4) more than +18. via M32-Edit (off-line without M32R active or on line). I attached my scene below and hope that you could review and pin point what I have done wrong ? Besides that, any tips on improvements or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Adjust Gain on M32-Edit

Hi Ly,

I had a look at your scene. The reason why you can't adjust the gains greater than +18 is because your inputs are from the AES50 A port. If you offline and not connected to the inputs coming in from that AES50, you will only have the digital trims (+-18db). This is because the physical gains are part of the XLR inputs of the stagebox. Therefore you will have to make the gain adjustments when you actually connect.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you Paul for a quick response. Greatly appreciated ! Anything else you see that I need to improve ? I have some other questions:

(1) Since I do compression on channel individual basis, when do we want to use dynamic compression on SubGroup and on Monitor Mixes ?
(2) On EQ, I tend to do subtractive on individual channel and doing additive on subgroups and monitor mixes, is this OK ?
(3) On ordering EQ and Compressor for subgroups and monitor mixes, what is better - Compress before EQ or EQ before compress ?

Greatly appreciated any guidance,
Ly
Contributor - Level 2

AFAIK the gains - while 'offline' - can be set on the > setup > preamp page...
Best
Klaus
http://www.redmountain.ch/X32CoreFOHandBandclient.jpg
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Ly,

I rarely use subgroups and usually keep things relatively simple. I prefer to apply the EQ and compression on the inputs, since I was taught if the inputs are setup correctly, the rest of the signal path will fall into place (GIGO) for the most part.

I tend to notch (subtract) problem frequencies to allow the rest to come through. Depending on the input (eg vocals), I sometimes slightly boost (additive) the predominant mid freq (using the RTA as a tool and my ears) to give it presence and a bit of the high freq (high shelf) to give it some air.

Regarding the EQ and compression order, I prefer the EQ -> compression with the thought that why compress frequencies that you don't want there in the first place.

Also I just confirmed what Klaus mentioned, by adjusting one of the AES50 gains on the preamps screen, saving the scene to a file and looking at the /headamps/ section (very end) of the scene file. It does save those settings in the scene even when offline.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you Klaus and Paul for your pointers and guidance. Your help is greatly appreciated !

Best Regards,
Ly
Ly