Contributor - Level 2

Adroid 1.5 Update - IDCAs missing and Mute group Idea

Hi,

I am liking the update for the most part, but I noticed that IDCAs have been omitted. The 4 "normal" DCAs are enough but I am concerned if updating will cause problems with my layers that uses them.

The mute group implementation is messy. I see no reason that a Mute Group "Channel Strip" cannot be included in the layers so that it can be part of a layout instead of obscuring it - plenty of room. I often hand a tablet to a house person in a bar. Being able to give them 4 DCAs and 4 mutes on a surface is magic.

BTW I tried the software on a Samsung view - really cool in terms of tight fader control, but it would be nice to be able to add some of the channel functionality above the faders in the same style as the PC version. (The View is an 18.5" Android tablet - total beast)

Keep it coming

Cheers

Grif
SteveGriffiths Contributor - Level 2 2016-01-22

2016-01-22

Adroid 1.5 Update - IDCAs missing and Mute group Idea

Hi,

I am liking the update for the most part, but I noticed that IDCAs have been omitted. The 4 "normal" DCAs are enough but I am concerned if updating will cause problems with my layers that uses them.

The mute group implementation is messy. I see no reason that a Mute Group "Channel Strip" cannot be included in the layers so that it can be part of a layout instead of obscuring it - plenty of room. I often hand a tablet to a house person in a bar. Being able to give them 4 DCAs and 4 mutes on a surface is magic.

BTW I tried the software on a Samsung view - really cool in terms of tight fader control, but it would be nice to be able to add some of the channel functionality above the faders in the same style as the PC version. (The View is an 18.5" Android tablet - total beast)

Keep it coming

Cheers

Grif

• 0 Kudos
  • 11 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Adroid 1.5 Update - IDCAs missing and Mute group Idea

Oh, no! This is so frustrating. iDCAs have been one of the best features of the Android app. So it's two steps forth and one step back for the 1.5 release.
Contributor - Level 3

Oh dear! That is a great pity.
Contributor - Level 2

The iDCA's were great. I get that they don't sync to iOS or PC etc, butI still liked them.

If iDCA's aren't coming back, can we at least get a few more DCA's to play with?

EDIT: Just discovered that each channel can only be in a single DCA. So I'm really going to miss having iDCA's Smiley Sad
Contributor - Level 2

I haven't yet used any of this area of functionality so don't know much about it but I see that the "FADER GROUPS" layer is still there - how far will that go towards redressing the iDCA deficit?
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

What I am really after is adding the mute group buttons to a single channel strip so it can be added to a layer. Far more practical than the current approach.

Also it would be great if Android also had a see everything. I run a Galaxy view which has tons of real estate, so seeing all meters, or all strip settings above the faders would be great.
Triber Moderator

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to jump in here and link everyone here in Jan's post (#4) addressing our reasoning for removing the iDCAs in the latest version of the X AIR Android app (v1.5) in case you didn't see it yet.

http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?9871-Android-1-5-Mute-button-draw-bug-in-DCAs
Michael Lapke
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Michael. I understand the reasons for removing it. How about creating a channel strip for the mute groups so it can be added to a layer? As it stands, it takes 3 presses to use a mute group. One to bring up the panel, one to mute or unmute a group and one to regain access to the mixer. Really not a good plan. Add to that, unless the panel is visible, there is no indication of the mute group status. Making a channel strip version would fix all of these issues.

Cheers.... Grif
Contributor - Level 2

Steve Griffiths;68362 wrote:
Thanks Michael. I understand the reasons for removing it. How about creating a channel strip for the mute groups so it can be added to a layer? As it stands, it takes 3 presses to use a mute group. One to bring up the panel, one to mute or unmute a group and one to regain access to the mixer. Really not a good plan. Add to that, unless the panel is visible, there is no indication of the mute group status. Making a channel strip version would fix all of these issues.

Cheers.... Grif

+1
Or at least put Mute group buttons along the top somewhere? I don't mind having to go to a different screen to set them up but it would be nice to just have one click to activate them.
Contributor - Level 2

Agreed on the mutes. Quick access to mute groups and/or Mute All is essential as a panic button. When the crazy feedback or other noise starts, and you can't figure it out quickly, the mutes must be easy and quick.

Given the scarce real estate on the phone-compatible Android app, there may be other uses for the idea of putting something that's not a channel strip on a custom layer.
XR18, BCF2000 Linux (Ubuntu Studio 14.04), Ardour DAW