Alternative Antenna for X Air Series

Check out the TP-Link TL-ANT2408CL

Works great for me!

• 0 Kudos
  • 38 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 1

Re: Alternative Antenna for X Air Series

Richard YClark;80582 wrote:
Why pay 24GBP when Amazon also have the same product for 3.46GBP?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002VYP5QW/ref=s9_simh_hd_bw_bT8dC3_p147_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5...

Because that is an add-on price, if you'd been bothered to look...
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks for pointing that out. I only saw the price. But surely that can't make a price difference of over 20GBP?

They are still only 3.99GBP on e-Bay or slightly more at Maplins (UK version of Radio Shack).
Contributor - Level 2

You're right! In my panic I ordered a couple of these aerials, assuming they were a direct replacement for the original. (The dimensions given on the Amazon site don't even bare any relation to the size of the packaging) They are not, as can be seen on the attached photos.!

Regarding price. They were an "Add-on" at £3.46 so I was obliged to buy other stuff to get them at that price. I decided to return one and use the other at the gig and then keep it as a spare, so I went through the Amazon returns process, to be informed that they will credit my account with £5.46 - yes £2.00 more than I paid. I was then expecting to have to print a Returns sticker to go on the package, only to have displayed "We are processing your refund. You don't need to return the item back to us!", so I now have two over-sized aerials for a ridiculous price!

I'm still looking for a true replacement for the original, even though I note the advice on my related topic that it really is best to go for an external router. (We only play small local pubs using an Android tablet to control the beast so the Ethernet cable option isn't available. The internal router hasn't let us down yet - famous last words!)

The only trouble with the original is that the plastic appears incredibly thin on the hinge mechanism and the plastic extremely brittle. Is there a realistic alternative as my hinge appears to have broken overnight all by itself and the discussion on this topic appears directed just to improved broadcast performance not strength.
Volunteer Moderator

Greg Chapman;80659 wrote:
Thanks for all the responses.

I probably should have posted my follow-up here rather than at:
http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?11378-Alternative-Antenna-for-X-Air-Series&p=80658&poste...

I have now merged both threads into this one as it makes more sense.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

I use the internal wifi instead of a router, as I perform right next to my setup, and select an "open" channel at each gig by first using the Airport Utility iOS app. However, I have my XR12 in a ventilated enclosure (along with other electrical gear), and wanted to experiment with locating the antenna outside of all that.

I purchased a high-quality 3-ft RP-SMA extension cable ($6), removed the XR antenna, routed the extension from the XR to a location outside the enclosure, then connected the antenna for clear line-of-sight with my iPad.

Worked a charm.
Contributor - Level 2

Another internal access point wifi improvement option others have done is to get an extension cable and a base (usually magnetic) for the antenna. Then you can have the XR18 on the floor for cable routing. And still have the antenna placed high in the line of sight. Yeah, I ebayed one of those, too, but didn't use it. I use and external router instead. What can I say, I like options Smiley Wink So, an external base with extension cable gives you a place to put that second antenna.
Super Contributor - Level 1

John Baker;80669 wrote:
I use the internal wifi instead of a router, as I perform right next to my setup, and select an "open" channel at each gig by first using the Airport Utility iOS app. However, I have my XR12 in a ventilated enclosure (along with other electrical gear), and wanted to experiment with locating the antenna outside of all that.

I purchased a high-quality 3-ft RP-SMA extension cable ($6), removed the XR antenna, routed the extension from the XR to a location outside the enclosure, then connected the antenna for clear line-of-sight with my iPad.

Worked a charm.

I like this! But sooner or later you will run into problems with cellphones, etc. The signal you get (depending on antenna placement) is the signal you get. Antenna amplifiers amplify interference as well. You can't be fiddling with antennae during a gig... So you really need to be in the 5G band on a gig to have any real safety. (Let's face it, on a gig, the last thing you want is 'egg on face'!)
(PS - it doesn't matter how close to your router you are, it's a matter of signal strength. If you're that close, use a wired connection, and be rid of the grief!).
Contributor - Level 1

Very Good!

This is very helpful, yesterday I went to perform in a place located in the middle of a jungle of wi-fi networks, and I couldn't control via iPad, it allow me a few minutes in the first set and never on the second, thank God that the mix was solo fro a trio band and everything since the beginning was done almost correctly. My wife used her iPad mini out of the stage and achieve the connection better than me. Next time I have plans to use an external router but one 5G, thanks for the video, very helpful.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

I need someone to pick out one best product from those on this list here.

https://buywirelessrouternow.com/best-modeling-amps/