Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Android tablet recommendations

I have Mac laptops and an iPad for work and home use. With the current wait for the updated apps plus wanting to have options for the future, I'm looking at Android tablets. Right now, I'm just concerned with getting one for use with my X32c. I don't mix from my current tablet... just use it for sound check and for setting monitor levels. So basically, I'm looking for something cheap but dependable. I have a Galaxy S3 so I'm not totally in the dark with Android. Any recommendations?
JoelMercado-See Contributor - Level 2 2014-03-28

2014-03-28

Android tablet recommendations

I have Mac laptops and an iPad for work and home use. With the current wait for the updated apps plus wanting to have options for the future, I'm looking at Android tablets. Right now, I'm just concerned with getting one for use with my X32c. I don't mix from my current tablet... just use it for sound check and for setting monitor levels. So basically, I'm looking for something cheap but dependable. I have a Galaxy S3 so I'm not totally in the dark with Android. Any recommendations?

• 0 Kudos
  • 19 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Android tablet recommendations

Be sure you check reviews and forums for user experience on anything you buy to make sure the WiFi reception is good. I have an ASUS tablet that, from a processing standpoint, runs circles around most other tablets I've used, however the WiFi reception falls off a cliff once you get 20-30 feet away from the source. Good WiFi is a MUST.
Contributor - Level 2

+1

wifi matters more than any one thing

i'm running MS on a 2 yr old 'cheap chinese knockoff'
single core with a descent screen

it's good so far but gets
more battle testing when the spare rack shows up today
Valued Contributor - Level 2

I bought an Asus Memo Pad 10 just for x32. Pretty cheap as 10 inch tablets go, works just fine for Mixing Station, have not really tried it long distance so can't speak to the wifi issue. Seems like that could be partly router related but I do not know.
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Joel,

I'm using the Acer A1-810 8" tablet and it is working very well. On sale here in Canada, it sells for about $180. It has about an 8 hour battery life, quad core, works great with Mixing Station, and the wifi is very good (2.4Ghz only). In fact last weekend I did an event where my laptop wifi was constantly dropping out (first time I've encountered this) and I ended up mixing most of the night with the Acer tablet.

Paul
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Mixing Station vs Edit

On a related note, I'm looking at both android and win 8 tablets. The windows units are more expensive but will run Edit. I'm using Mixing Station on my phone and I really like it, but my phone is just too small. Anyone use both and have some thoughts on which is a better way to go?
Volunteer Moderator

Jim Ingraham;21110 wrote:
On a related note, I'm looking at both android and win 8 tablets. The windows units are more expensive but will run Edit. I'm using Mixing Station on my phone and I really like it, but my phone is just too small. Anyone use both and have some thoughts on which is a better way to go?

I agree that it is difficult using Mixing Station on a smartphone and only do it when I'm desperate. Mixing on a tablet with the same app is worlds different. The only problem with Mixing Station is that it is not yet full featured (David is working on that). The problem with X32-Edit is that it currently doesn't work (or work well, if you cheat) on 2.02 and it is not touch friendly. I tried it on my wife's Acer laptop with a touch screen - wasn't impressed at all. And as you mentioned, for the price of a Windows tablet, you can buy 2-3 good android tablets. (my 2 nickels)

Paul
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Paul Vannatto;21112 wrote:
I agree that it is difficult using Mixing Station on a smartphone and only do it when I'm desperate. Mixing on a tablet with the same app is worlds different. The only problem with Mixing Station is that it is not yet full featured (David is working on that). The problem with X32-Edit is that it currently doesn't work (or work well, if you cheat) on 2.02 and it is not touch friendly. I tried it on my wife's Acer laptop with a touch screen - wasn't impressed at all. And as you mentioned, for the price of a Windows tablet, you can buy 2-3 good android tablets. (my 2 nickels)

Paul

what was it you didn't like about the windows touchscreen Paul? I use an Acer 22" 10 pt touch in my DAW setup and if I reduce the resolution down to 1024x768, the Edit program fills the screen and I've found it fairly responsive. The biggest problem I have with Edit is having to constantly go back and hit the Presentation button to keep it synched with the console. That could be my crappy old router though.

At any rate I think I'll probably just pick-up 70-80$ Android cause I love what David is doing with Mix Station.
Volunteer Moderator

The X32-Edit seemed to be jumpy at times. Some knobs, etc. didn't want to respond well. It maybe that the resolution is too high. But it is my wife's laptop (and I love my wife, and don't want to sleep in the back shed...). So I think I'll stick with my my Acer tablet and X32-Edit on my laptop.

Paul
Contributor - Level 2

Joel Mercado-See;21094 wrote:

I use a Pipo M9 Pro. Great specs, 10", fast, hi-res. About $300, maybe less now.

If you want bigger, track down a Voyo A15. 11.6" and similarly fast.