Mixing

This page is dedicated to the art of mixing. Join other producers and recording engineers and discuss mixing techniques, your favorite software, equipment and more!

Highlighted

Anyone have a good sounding vocal doubling effect?

Contributor - Level 2
I have been toying around with the FX trying to get a realistic sounding "doubling" effect for some vocals. I have tried using chorus and stereo/dual pitch in the FX rack toying around with the settings within each FX but it always sounds too electronic.

Does anyone have a good setting on the X32 that works well for this?

Thanks
Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Anyone have a good sounding vocal doubling effect?

Volunteer Moderator
Have you tried to assign the vox to two channel strips and use the channel strip delay? You can even pan them and even use the pitch-shifter to emphasize the fx.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2
I haven't tried that. Actually, the only time I have to toy with any of the FX is the 30 minutes or so that are left between the set up and the time the band starts. I don't own the X32 and I am just a hired sound guy so I probably know less than 50% of what the mixer can really do. It's an X32 rack controlled by iPad.

Are you referring to using 2 channel strips for each vocal mic or something else?

Contributor - Level 2
Rich Ordell;121742 wrote:
Are you referring to using 2 channel strips for each vocal mic or something else?

I had assumed that is exactly what Robert meant. That's a good approach, (and the only way of doing it that I know of on the X32) but just something to consider: unless you mix the 'doubled' vocal way down, it is always likely to sound a bit 'electronic'. 'Proper' doublers (like those from TC Helicon on their VoiceWorks processors) randomly vary the delay on the main & effected vocals, which helps to reduce the 'electronic' sound. I had assumed that would be a bad thing, but maybe the full Stephen Hawking sound is what you're after... 

Contributor - Level 2
I just use delay and reverb to get that if I wanted it... just make the delay fast enough to do it Smiley Happy

Contributor - Level 2
Rich Ordell;121715 wrote:
I have been toying around with the FX trying to get a realistic sounding "doubling" effect for some vocals. I have tried using chorus and stereo/dual pitch in the FX rack toying around with the settings within each FX but it always sounds too electronic.

Does anyone have a good setting on the X32 that works well for this?
Unfortunately, no. I mixed a show the day before yesterday on an Allen & Heath Qu-24, and last year on an iLive T-112, and both times I was thoroughly underwhelmed (the dLive looks nice, though), but the A.D.T. (Automatic Double Tracking) FX is really nice. Now that Music Group owns TC, maybe we'll see some cool Vocal FX in a future console or even a future firmware (although from what I hear, the DSP is near peak capacity already).

I was actually thinking about getting one of the simpler TC.helicon boards and running it as an external FX unit.

Contributor - Level 2
Jörg Mittag;121886 wrote:
Unfortunately, no. I mixed a show the day before yesterday on an Allen & Heath Qu-24, and last year on an iLive T-112, and both times I was thoroughly underwhelmed (the dLive looks nice, though), but the A.D.T. (Automatic Double Tracking) FX is really nice. Now that Music Group owns TC, maybe we'll see some cool Vocal FX in a future console or even a future firmware (although from what I hear, the DSP is near peak capacity already).

I was actually thinking about getting one of the simpler TC.helicon boards and running it as an external FX unit.

I have a A&H QU 16 also and use the ADT-Doubler... But I will change now to the Midas M32R and looking for a way to "copy" this ADT-Doubler-effect on the Midas=BehringerX32.
Did you find a solution, for example with a TC.helicon board? If yes... which one did you buy??? And did you use it only between micro an mixer or really as an insert-effect for one or more channels? How did you imitate the ADT-doubler-effect of the A&H-mixer?
Thanks for help! Smiley Very Happy

Contributor - Level 2
pitch efx is perfect for this..R side +10, Left side -10..blend low in mix and enjoy!

Contributor - Level 3
Harry Brookes;158033 wrote:
pitch efx is perfect for this..R side +10, Left side -10..blend low in mix and enjoy!

Are you referring to the Dual Pitch Shifter? There are a bunch of other settings on that unit. When you say +10 are you referring to the Semi or Cent and what about the other settings on it? I have never used something like this but I would like to play with it.

Contributor - Level 2
cents are very small increments..-10 through 15 will usually give you that 70's doubled sound for guitar vocals etc..
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors