Contributor - Level 2

Anyone saw this?

..so, I don't know if someone posted this information before.. it looks like Presonus is trying hard to hit the competition with their new console (looks like an x32 wannabe, clone to me)..and at a close price too..
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SLMAD32
..now I'm not gonna lie, I really dig their design (visual that is) and it has some good features like 32 channels recording onboard, 24 dca's.. I don't now, to me it looks like a reversed engineered x32 with some twists and lacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZI9jH9m0dk
..I reckon a very slow os and faders,,

Anyway, I think they scratched their heads too long for this one I'm affraid.. missed their start completely..for all I can see, it'll probably hit more on allen&heath sales than behringer's, but that's only an oppinion ...

Aw goodies! Now on the good side, we may hopefuly see some new products from behringer and midas or some candy new prices Smiley Very Happy
Tags (1)
SorinEne Contributor - Level 2 2016-11-09

2016-11-09

Anyone saw this?

..so, I don't know if someone posted this information before.. it looks like Presonus is trying hard to hit the competition with their new console (looks like an x32 wannabe, clone to me)..and at a close price too..
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SLMAD32
..now I'm not gonna lie, I really dig their design (visual that is) and it has some good features like 32 channels recording onboard, 24 dca's.. I don't now, to me it looks like a reversed engineered x32 with some twists and lacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZI9jH9m0dk
..I reckon a very slow os and faders,,

Anyway, I think they scratched their heads too long for this one I'm affraid.. missed their start completely..for all I can see, it'll probably hit more on allen&heath sales than behringer's, but that's only an oppinion ...

Aw goodies! Now on the good side, we may hopefuly see some new products from behringer and midas or some candy new prices Smiley Very Happy

• 0 Kudos
  • 77 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Anyone saw this?

I think the AH iLive series is a good example of where things will go.

Modularize the control surface, the IO, and the mixing/FX processing.

We're already most of the way there with the X32 series. The only thing we really need is an Ethernet surface larger than the X-Touch, perhaps with a layout similar to the X32-Compact (and without the DAW transport), or another module that gives 8 additional faders to be assigned to channel/bus banks.

The Presonus and Soundcraft digital mixers in the X32 price range still fall short in my opinion.
Timothy (Tim) Metzinger Engineer, Pilot, Husband, Dad Location recording, live sound, audio networking, still waiting for the post-loudness era.
Contributor - Level 3

Had a brief look at it, so this it by no means an exhaustive list, but things I like about this mixer (that the x32 doesn't have) include

DCA spill, but the channel faders move with the DCA master (not ideal IMO)
24x DCAs
User layer
Multitrack to local SD (simultaneous with USB and AVB interface: yay for redundancy)
Buses can be mtxs
Inputs can be sent direct to mtx
Eq\comp emulations on every channel (yes, I know the x32 has peq\veq, and there are insert options in the FX rack for boutique comps, but the SL effectively adds the option for a pulteq-esque eq\tube comp emulation on every channel.)
It appears that st-link options are unique to each pair
Analogue trims on main outs

Things I don't like:
Lack of dedicated encoders for certain functions.
Limited metering.
Slow faders (though the videos may have been slowed down.)
No digital snake\expansion (unless ABV.)
For something marketed as being useful in the studio, it seems to lack options for external clocking.
Outputs aren't assignable.

TBH I don't think TMG has much to worry about in terms of this Presonus mixer cutting into iTMG's X\M32 market share (especially with the price drop on the M series,) but at the same time I don't think TMG should ignore it completely. It would be bad if the X\M32 series (or whatever comes next from TMG) are the only consoles in this market segment (Qu, Si, TF, DL32R etc) that don't have a user layer\D2D recording etc. If these sorts of things become standard on competitors' consoles, but only feature on TMG's Pro level consoles, that's something the competition can use against TMG. If I've figured this out though, I'm sure there are people much smarter than I at TMG who have also figured it out, and are hopefully taking appropriate steps.

I also like iLive\dLive's direction: modular IO, DSP and control. It just makes sense. Systems built to a budget that are scaleable. Also, having the hot-swappable,redundant, field-replaceable (4 screws) PSUs in the mixracks being the same as those in the control surface and those in the expanders, essentially making them all interchangeable with each other, is just one of those things that make you think "why weren't we doing this decades ago?"
Valued Contributor - Level 1

Timothy Metzinger;89076 wrote:

We're already most of the way there with the X32 series.

True, modular designs are promising. I'd like to see the next iteration of the hardware bump samplerates to 96k or maybe even 192k. And I would like to see Dante being the standard interface for external audio I/O and onboard recording to SD-cards.

X32Core - already there
Stageboxes - already there
AUX-module - missing (X32core+AUXmod+stagebox=X32R)
Control surface - missing - maybe re-use components from X-Touch and redesign with some inspiration from devices such as Presonus CS18AI and Mackie DC16.

Besides this I would also like to see a 1U rackmount router (router/switch/WiFi-AP) optimised for stage use as a system module. That would imply 10/100/1000 ports both back and front, as well as tri-band WiFi with antennas on the front-panel of the unit. I.e feature-wise something like a Netgear AC5300 in a better chassis.
Contributor - Level 3

It actually looks pretty cool. Too bad it's 5 years too late. If it were 48 channels I'd be more included to checking it out. I'm sure one of the places in my area with pick one eventually..
Bonare -- It's pronounced "bone'wah"
Contributor - Level 2

multitrack to SD is clearly missing on the X32... time for a "MK II" model? Smiley Wink
Also 55 x55 thru AVB is not bad compared to AES50... and even Dante: it is an open standard, Dante is not.
Contributor - Level 3

Really nice. Very nice recording options with just a drive or SD card for all channels. Nice.

No word yet on how it sounds but I am sure it is OK.

No word about it being 96k

The one place everyone continues to fall down is;
Total separation of the I/O from the control surface.
I only need a few inputs and outs with me out front.
The rest of the I/O is needed on stage and not duplicated out front when you use their stage boxes.

PLEASE!!!!! WHY won't someone in this market do this?
"Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"
Volunteer Moderator

Glenn Adams;89544 wrote:
The one place everyone continues to fall down is;
Total separation of the I/O from the control surface.
I only need a few inputs and outs with me out front.
The rest of the I/O is needed on stage and not duplicated out front when you use their stage boxes.

PLEASE!!!!! WHY won't someone in this market do this?

I have exactly that with my dual X32 Rack setup. I don't have any I/O at FOH position - just my trusty laptop and tablet. Smiley Very Happy
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 3

My other rigs are all remote touchscreen with all the I/O on stage too.

BUT if you are going to redesign a console with a physical control surface why oh why would you ever leave the I/O in it?
"Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Mixing on a tablet? Forget it: my fingers are too large, I always move a pair of faders at a time ! Smiley Very Happy
No, I completely agree with Paul: a control surface (with a few spare I/O's) + a rack: this is the way to go. The rack is there already, where is the control surface ? (No, not an Xtouch, an X32 derived model). Hum... in fact Presonus already did it in a sense... Smiley Sad
StudioLive CS18AI + StudioLive RML32AI ???