SorinEne Contributor - Level 2 2016-11-09

2016-11-09

Anyone saw this?

..so, I don't know if someone posted this information before.. it looks like Presonus is trying hard to hit the competition with their new console (looks like an x32 wannabe, clone to me)..and at a close price too..
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SLMAD32
..now I'm not gonna lie, I really dig their design (visual that is) and it has some good features like 32 channels recording onboard, 24 dca's.. I don't now, to me it looks like a reversed engineered x32 with some twists and lacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZI9jH9m0dk
..I reckon a very slow os and faders,,

Anyway, I think they scratched their heads too long for this one I'm affraid.. missed their start completely..for all I can see, it'll probably hit more on allen&heath sales than behringer's, but that's only an oppinion ...

Aw goodies! Now on the good side, we may hopefuly see some new products from behringer and midas or some candy new prices Smiley Very Happy

• 0 Kudos
  • 77 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Anyone saw this?

One reason I still have my A & H iLive system (iDR32 Mix Rack + T-80 Surface) is the separation of surface from i/o & processing (not to mention the expansion when needed, and the complete flexibility of the surface layout).

I need real faders at FoH and a handful of inputs, everything else is needed at the stage. I've tried mixing from an iPad and/or laptop - it doesn't work very well for me, especially for very "dynamic" shows (though I use an iPad often for setting up monitor mixes with artists).

If MG were to come out with something like a larger X-Touch that had say, 4 or 8 inputs & outputs on it, and could connect to an X32 Rack + Stage boxes, or X32 Core + Stage boxes, that would be a pretty good win IMHO.

I really hope that in the next iteration of the X32/M32 line that we get more flexible DSP (things like being able to link any 2 channels together, not just odd-to-even adjacent, flexible routing of i/o 1:1 instead of in groups of 8, more flexible routing options in general), and flexible layout options of the control surface - even a "user" layer that allowed free assignment of channel strips would be cool and helpful.
Contributor - Level 3

I looked the videos over and even at 400 bucks more they are stealing the X32s thunder.
Presonus has made 3 Studiolive consoles so far in the time the X32 has been out. They added a rack version in 2 sizes and the surface app. They have a 16ch remote controller with a few inputs and outputs on it.

I am starting to wonder what Behringer has up its sleeve for the next X32 product. I've wanted an XTouch like interface so the I/0 could be on stage yet have the physical controls out front, but I was thinking more like the whole X32 surface to do it. And certainty a much larger fader count than the XTouch. (I still hate layers) And I don't want to keep stacking controllers and boxes when one larger solution can be made.

So what is next? Will we not see a new Behringer product in the X32 size range? Will it be replaced with a $3,000 Midas instead? Will Behringer just be the small stuff from now on?

At $2600 bucks Presonus has made an X32 beater.

What do I want? well - a FOH console that can break out it's IO. Think of a M32 with 2 IO modules like the SD16 on the back that can separate from the console via AES50 or the like. That way one purchase can replace both a prewired FOH location or remote with it's own IO pulled out to be on stage without having to buy more boxes and idling it own IO. Throw in the local IO and recording interfaces and you have the best of both worlds in one console.
"Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"
Super Contributor - Level 2

I think it remains to be seen as to whether the new SL is an X32 beater. There are a lot of little things that make the X32 what it is. If the SL will have all of those that are important to those who "need" them will have a lot to do with its success. Along with price of course, which is current under $1800 shipped on the full size X32.
Indianapolis, IN
Contributor - Level 2

Wanna tell us where full size x32s are being sold for 1800 bucks? (Unless they're used?)
Valued Contributor - Level 1

Tim Padrick;89692 wrote:
I think it remains to be seen as to whether the new SL is an X32 beater. There are a lot of little things that make the X32 what it is. If the SL will have all of those that are important to those who "need" them will have a lot to do with its success. Along with price of course, which is current under $1800 shipped on the full size X32.

For an outsider it looks as if Presonus have different design/development teams who hardly communicate at all. They've made a number of products in the mixer/recording space in recent years that are "almost there", but for some reasons it seems impossible to incorporate all the good ideas in one solution. Series III looks good at first sight, and the ease of moving not just recordings from the SD-card into studio one, but also preserving the mix in the process is brilliant for anyone who do a lot of post-processing of live recordings. The lack of modularity OTOH is disappointing. Stageboxes are expected, but why then have to lug around all the unnecessary weight of the inputs-sockets and the internal cabling in the console. Finally, how could they even release a product at this time with only 48k sampling. 44.1 is expected in an update, but it can not do 88.2k or 96k for which they already have the converters in the RM-series.
Contributor - Level 3

Right on Per
The videos show a bit of hunting to do something, more than I would expect out of the new FAT channel. And a few times the guy was pushing a button or on screen button and nothing was goin on.

And who thought all the IO on board was new idea?

But the final nail for me was if you are going to lead rather than follow why not build in the best selling point they could have made, 96K. It isn't that big of a sonic difference but it is a selling point that would have put them on top.
"Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"
Contributor - Level 2

Glenn Adams;89733 wrote:
Right on Per
The videos show a bit of hunting to do something, more than I would expect out of the new FAT channel. And a few times the guy was pushing a button or on screen button and nothing was goin on.

And who thought all the IO on board was new idea?

But the final nail for me was if you are going to lead rather than follow why not build in the best selling point they could have made, 96K. It isn't that big of a sonic difference but it is a selling point that would have put them on top.

Screw presonus ... we've had more of their kit go down at work than all other brands including Behringer.

I guarantee this release will be as dodgy as all hell ... They've been in panic mode since the X32 hit and scrambling to compete but in doing so have let all the legacy products released before this to go down the crapper.

It's hard to admit you've missed the boat by , Oh I dunno ... FIVE YEARS .

As for 32 i/o pfffft .... Sd16's are getting cheaper all the time.
Contributor - Level 2

I love the core paired with SD16s and have replaced the USB card with an ADAT card to allow ADA8200. Like Paul, need only a playout device, recorder, and a pair of room mics for ambient.

As far as a surface I want to be on the wild side and adapt the 8 flying sliders that are in a X32 console. The repair board is better priced than buying the sliders by themselves.
Contributor - Level 2

Direct to Disk is becoming a standard option on all consoles (as it really should be in this class of mixer). I would really like to see Behringer create their own expansion card with tight integration into their console firmware and external software for this purpose.

It is really the only feature I find lacking in the X32 series.

As for the new Presonus model....

How is the off-line editor?
How does it sound?
Stage box?
Monitor integration (P16?)
Android support?
Other family members (lower than 32 channels)?

Behringer has put lots of time and effort in building a product line (not just a mixer) with a solid infrastructure around it. IMO Presonus is still 5 years out from that point. In another 5 years, I would be very surprised if Behringer were still in the same place waiting on them (and others) to catch up.
Contributor - Level 2

Scott Bolt;90394 wrote:

Other family members (lower than 32 channels)?

After downloading their quick start guide ,looks like there is a 16 channels version already planned. Also, comparing the tech specs of the two preamps, their xmax and x32's, the latter should be better.. well, at least on paper..
    Go to page