Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Automixer functioning as advertised?

Correct me if I’m missing something here.
This is nothing like how Dugan-style automixing works at all.
On a Dugan mixer - In the absence of signal above threshold, all of the channels in an automix group are attenuated equally.

Currently as it is implemented in the X-Air when there is no signal present in the mics, the attenuation applied to all of the mics in the group disappears.

One of the main reasons I use this function is for feedback reduction for something like sound reinforcement for panel discussions. If there's no signal triggering the automixer to apply gain reduction, the next sound will be howling feedback as if I turned up all the microphones all at once. Not something I want.

In a television studio application of the same settings, when no one is talking, the ambient noise floor will come up when no one is talking. That is not what I want at all.

instead of the "last gate" function, what you need is a "hold gain reduction" function which keeps the g.r. settings the same until the next person speaks and changes the weighting.
In that way, your total gain through a PA stays the same, and your background noise level remains unchanged

I understand that you can set the expanders to automatically close when no signal is present, but if that worked properly, we'd never actually need to use automixers.
GregThompson Contributor - Level 2 2016-10-18

2016-10-18

Automixer functioning as advertised?

Correct me if I’m missing something here.
This is nothing like how Dugan-style automixing works at all.
On a Dugan mixer - In the absence of signal above threshold, all of the channels in an automix group are attenuated equally.

Currently as it is implemented in the X-Air when there is no signal present in the mics, the attenuation applied to all of the mics in the group disappears.

One of the main reasons I use this function is for feedback reduction for something like sound reinforcement for panel discussions. If there's no signal triggering the automixer to apply gain reduction, the next sound will be howling feedback as if I turned up all the microphones all at once. Not something I want.

In a television studio application of the same settings, when no one is talking, the ambient noise floor will come up when no one is talking. That is not what I want at all.

instead of the "last gate" function, what you need is a "hold gain reduction" function which keeps the g.r. settings the same until the next person speaks and changes the weighting.
In that way, your total gain through a PA stays the same, and your background noise level remains unchanged

I understand that you can set the expanders to automatically close when no signal is present, but if that worked properly, we'd never actually need to use automixers.

• 0 Kudos
  • 38 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Automixer functioning as advertised?

Hi Greg,

Welcome to the forum. The automix is working just fine for the rest of us since it was introduced over a year ago. I would suggest you export your scene to a file and attach here. We'll be glad to have a look and advise.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Contributor - Level 2

Hey Paul.
I attached a preset. Assume I am using channels 1-4 currently, though I have channels 1-8 all assigned to the X group.

I understand that others are fine with the way things are.
What I am describing as my experience .. is that actually the way things are?

Because this has never been my experience with any of the following.
-DUGAN-MY16 for Yamaha M7 CL series mixers
-the built in Automixer in Yamaha CL and QL
-Dugan E1 units
Contributor - Level 2

Greg Thompson;87349 wrote:
Hey Paul.
I attached a preset. Assume I am using channels 1-4 currently, though I have channels 1-8 all assigned to the X group.

I understand that others are fine with the way things are.
What I am describing as my experience .. is that actually the way things are?

Because this has never been my experience with any of the following.
-DUGAN-MY16 for Yamaha M7 CL series mixers
-the built in Automixer in Yamaha CL and QL
-Dugan E1 units

I agree with you: what you described is how I perceive the XR18 to work, and the Dugan system would be more helpful. Maybe I'm wrong, and I look forward to someone setting me straight! I've never used the AutoMix function in a live setting (only tests at home), so it's entirely possible I'm wrong.

I don't see what good it does to look at a preset since you're asking about how a function works.

-Stephen
Contributor - Level 2

The X32 Automix works exactly like you expected. At least a test at home looked like that. The damping of the channels was reciprocal to the audio level difference. At silence, all microphones were dampted with the same level.
I doubt that the X-Air works differently.
Contributor - Level 2

Hey Florian.
What' you're describing is the opposite to what I'm experiencing

Much like this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQrVHU0AClc

when he stops speaking completely, all the gain reduction disappears on all the channels.
Contributor - Level 2

Hey, Greg. Did you see the most recent firmware upgrade that came out a week or two ago? It did something to automix, though I haven't installed it yet.

-Stephen
Contributor - Level 2

Greg Thompson;87355 wrote:
when he stops speaking completely, all the gain reduction disappears on all the channels.

I can't find a single frame where all gain reduction is zero.
There is not much time, where he doesn't talk, though.
Contributor - Level 2

Florian Gerstenlauer;87359 wrote:
I can't find a single frame where all gain reduction is zero.
There is not much time, where he doesn't talk, though.

*chuckle* Yeah, he pretty much fills it up from wall to wall.
However if you look at the meters as he talks, the tiny (TINY) spaces between where he talks, the gain reduction is actually decreasing instead of increasing.

I can post a similar video later today to show what's happening for me. But I'll actually pause once in a while.
-Greg
Contributor - Level 2

Also,
I installed firmware v 1.13 last week.
Is there a newer firmware version available?
-Greg