Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Behringer Automix ??

I finally installed v3.07 firmware on our X32 console at church. All seems normal.

I decided to test the automix to see how it might work. I have several questions.

1) There is no documentation on it's use. All I find is on the Dugan Automixer.

2) Once I poke around and "think" I have it set up correctly, I have no way to see if it is actually working. There is no visual representation of gain reduction when the mic source is silent.

I have looked at the X32 Wiki, but find no reference to "Automix".

Tags (1)
DavidSmith1 Contributor - Level 2 2016-10-19

2016-10-19

Behringer Automix ??

I finally installed v3.07 firmware on our X32 console at church. All seems normal.

I decided to test the automix to see how it might work. I have several questions.

1) There is no documentation on it's use. All I find is on the Dugan Automixer.

2) Once I poke around and "think" I have it set up correctly, I have no way to see if it is actually working. There is no visual representation of gain reduction when the mic source is silent.

I have looked at the X32 Wiki, but find no reference to "Automix".

• 0 Kudos
  • 19 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Behringer Automix ??

David Smith;87470 wrote:
There is no visual representation of gain reduction when the mic source is silent.

My X32 shows the gain reduction.
Contributor - Level 3

See this video. It's for the X-Air but X-32 operation is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQrVHU0AClc
Contributor - Level 2
Contributor - Level 2

OK & Thanks. Not very intuitive, but I think I understand now.

All mics are OPEN on a particular "X" or "Y" grouping until someone speaks. Then the other mics in that group are clamped down until someone else speaks. Is this correct?

One concern I have is the Gain Before Feedback issue if all the mics are Open.
Contributor - Level 2

It actually is very intuitive and effective. What you wrote is only correct in part. Also, your worries about GBF are not valid. Watch the second video again, it's all in there.
Contributor - Level 2

I did not experience what you are writing.

I set up two handheld mics into the "X" group. I used the default weighting. I enabled Automix. When I spoke into one mic, I could see the clamping in the other. Switch mics and the reverse happened - as expected.

I disabled automix and then ran the Main L/R level up to just before feedback. If I spoke into one of the mics, feedback would occur.

I enabled automix at the same Main L/R level and spoke into one of the mics. Feedback would just barely start and then disappear (as the other mic level was clamped down.

Minor improvement. I won't really be able to try this feature in a real world environment until Behringer improves the flexibility to at least be able to use ANY eight inputs rather than the first block of eight. I am not going to rearrange my mics to try this out.
Contributor - Level 2

Florian Gerstenlauer;87482 wrote:
My X32 shows the gain reduction.

I must correct myself. When I tested it the first time I had much ambient noise. So there was always some gain reduction.
In an silent room, the gain reduction jumps to 0dB. This is definitely no Dugan, and definitely NOT what you want to reduce feedback.
Sure, the feedback will generate noise and lead to gain reduction. But why wait for the feedback? The actuall gain reduction sould be independent from the absolute level.
Contributor - Level 2

Who said it was a tool to reduce feedback?! I said it won't affect GBF in a negative way. Apart from that, this an automixer, not a feedback destroyer.
Contributor - Level 3

Also the whole point of a Automix feature is that the background is never silent. So rather than having all your mic faders all open at once adding to the apparent background level it is kept reasonably constant whilst just opening the active mic channel when there is sound above the required threshold.

Lack of 'gain reduction' doesn't mean that a channel's gain is increased, it just means that it is set to the level where the fader for that channel is set and not reduced. Unlike using a Gate any contribution from the non active mics shouldn't be completely removed but left at a lower level so that always some audio mixed into the final output.

And if just one person is talking close to a mic you don't also get all the secondary off mic room acoustic sound from the other fully opened mics.