Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Can No Longer Connect To XR18Air through Ethernet

Good afternoon everyone,

I've read through a good number of posts on connecting computers to the XR18Air, but I have found I can no longer connect to it via Ethernet.

Partial List of Gear:

Mac MINI 2.3 MHz Quad Core i7 Processor with OS 10.12.4 (I was on 10.11 and was unable to connect before I upgraded)
XR18Air with the 1.1 Firmware (I THINK - can't confirm that as I cannot connect via the computer)

I have been successful connecting the computer via Ethernet in the past, but for some reason over the past month I can no longer access the unit via Ethernet. I am able to connect via Wireless to my iPad, but CANNOT connect via Ethernet or Wireless to the Mac.

Things I've tried thus far:

• 3 Different Ethernet Cables

• When trying to connect through DHCP the Mac senses Ethernet traffic and the light on the XR18Air flashes, but after a while the Mac assigns it's own IP address. This makes no difference whether the XR18Air is set to DHCP or DHCPS.

• When trying to connect Via wireless between the XR18Air and the Mac Mini, I get an error message that says "The Wi-Fi network "XR18-1b-96-10" could not be joined". This message is strange because the XR18Air and the Mini are in the same rack - they are actually 12" from each other.

I use the X18 Air as the audio Interface for my Rig - the Mac is able to send USB Audio to the XR18Air without issue at this time. I just can't access the unit for firmware updating or mixing on computer screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Jim
JimQuesta Contributor - Level 1 2017-03-29

2017-03-29

Can No Longer Connect To XR18Air through Ethernet

Good afternoon everyone,

I've read through a good number of posts on connecting computers to the XR18Air, but I have found I can no longer connect to it via Ethernet.

Partial List of Gear:

Mac MINI 2.3 MHz Quad Core i7 Processor with OS 10.12.4 (I was on 10.11 and was unable to connect before I upgraded)
XR18Air with the 1.1 Firmware (I THINK - can't confirm that as I cannot connect via the computer)

I have been successful connecting the computer via Ethernet in the past, but for some reason over the past month I can no longer access the unit via Ethernet. I am able to connect via Wireless to my iPad, but CANNOT connect via Ethernet or Wireless to the Mac.

Things I've tried thus far:

• 3 Different Ethernet Cables

• When trying to connect through DHCP the Mac senses Ethernet traffic and the light on the XR18Air flashes, but after a while the Mac assigns it's own IP address. This makes no difference whether the XR18Air is set to DHCP or DHCPS.

• When trying to connect Via wireless between the XR18Air and the Mac Mini, I get an error message that says "The Wi-Fi network "XR18-1b-96-10" could not be joined". This message is strange because the XR18Air and the Mini are in the same rack - they are actually 12" from each other.

I use the X18 Air as the audio Interface for my Rig - the Mac is able to send USB Audio to the XR18Air without issue at this time. I just can't access the unit for firmware updating or mixing on computer screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Jim

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Contributor - Level 1

Re: Can No Longer Connect To XR18Air through Ethernet

Here's an additional tidbit:

While reading through another discussion someone suggested turning off wireless networking on the Mac and trying to connect. This indeed worked and I ask able to connect.

Is this a Mac issue or an XR18Air issue? This this always the way to resolve Ethernet connectivity?

Thanks in advance,

Jim
Super Contributor - Level 2

Jim Questa;120578 wrote:
Is this a Mac issue or an XR18Air issue? This this always the way to resolve Ethernet connectivity?

I would call it a Mac issue although it can also happen on Windows. The problem is that the PC has two network ports - they may even be using the same subnet addresses - and tends to favour one of them and ignore the other. I have sometimes been able to stop this happening by controlling the order of connection, changing the subnet addresses and/or setting different Gateway addresses. In some cases, the PC just favours the network that has an internet connection.

I would never attempt to control a live show with a PC or tablet that had multiple network ports open.
Rock Star - Level 1

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forums. The area on your Mac you want to check is in System Preferences -> Network. Which interface is on the top of the list.? That will be the one your Mac will use for networking. My guess is your Wi-Fi is on top but it isn't on the same network as the XR18 so you can't talk to it using WiFi. You can adjust interface priority by clicking on the "gear pulldown" under the list of interfaces and select "Set Service Order". Drag your Ethernet interface to the top of the list and click OK to save. The Mac will now use the Ethernet interface as long as a cable is plugged into it and it has link.

Hope this helps,
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver