Contributor - Level 2

Can you operate multiple instances of the XR18 software on a single computer ?

In the case of using two XR18 mixes as primary & sub mixer say, can you run both mixers from the same instance of the app or does it require two computers? I don't see a clear indication of this in the app window.
RileyCasey Contributor - Level 2 2016-04-20

2016-04-20

Can you operate multiple instances of the XR18 software on a single computer ?

In the case of using two XR18 mixes as primary & sub mixer say, can you run both mixers from the same instance of the app or does it require two computers? I don't see a clear indication of this in the app window.

• 0 Kudos
  • 14 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Can you operate multiple instances of the XR18 software on a single computer ?

Yes you can.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Can you operate multiple instances of the XR18 software on a single computer ?

AFAIK you can't run two XR18's from one instance of the app. You can run two instances of the app on say Windows but there is no feature AFAIK to distinguish between two XR18's from the app. That would be a neat way to increase channel count to beyond 18.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I have run two instances of X Air Edit from the same Windows laptop, one for an XR18 and one for an XR12, controlling the same band/gig - works great.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

As I stated you can run several apps to control one XR or several XR's but what the OP was asking is can one app instance run two XR's. The answer is still NO. I run X-edit and the Android app from one W7 computer and it works just fine. Some High end mixers have a means of chaining at the bus level as do most permanent install mixers such as the ClearOne XAP800 and Polycom EF2280 etc.. Maybe the next generation of XR's will have this feature. Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Running a couple of instances Xedit on a windows tablet is a great way to go . I have an acer 12" 2 in 1 and when using the touch screen with the EQ is rough because even a 12" touch screen the buttons are hard to engage , What I do is use one of the instances with the EQ screen blown up to make it easier and just minimize it when not in use . I can also run the android emulator at the same time as well , best of both worlds
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

William Kueppers;74775 wrote:
what the OP was asking is can one app instance run two XR's. The answer is still NO.

In strictly IT terminology one might question the use of the word "instance" and perhaps better describe it as "session", but the real point is that you can definitely run two XR mixers from the one app & computer. It's a great feature - I have done it several times and it works just fine, not only increasing the available channel count but also giving you a lot of extra flexibility with things like FX.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I would like to know more about this topic.
I own a XR18 and operate it only from a Windows laptop.
I have been thinking to buy an extra XR18 (or XR16) as a drums submixer.
(since Behringer seems not to be willing to produce a XR26, as discussed many times on this forum)

It is easy to start X-Air Edit 2 times on my laptop, but a laptop can only connect to 1 WiFi network, as far as I know. So what is the right way to do it?

I have a dual band router installed in my case with the XR18, so maybe I can connect both XR's to that router and use that router as a shared Access point.
Has anybody done that?
Does it work?
Or are there other / better options?

Thanks to you all for beeing a great resource in making the most of the XR series !!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Anthonie Hunter;74893 wrote:

I have a dual band router installed in my case with the XR18, so maybe I can connect both XR's to that router and use that router as a shared Access point.
Has anybody done that?

This works perfectly, i do this all the time.
http://www.bertdevries.soundproductions.nl ------ http://www.geluidsman.biz ------ http://www.synthstudiodevries.com
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Me too. In DHCP mode your router will automatically assign sequential IP addresses to your two XR18's. In your current X Air Edit session, when you open the setup window you will see the two IP addresses listed, for example 192.168.1.103 and 192.168.1.104. Just select/connect to the first IP address, then open another X Air Edit session and select/connect to the second IP address.